Hannibal ?THC? Deceased?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbh

Okie Boy said:
Just got the new cattlevisions catalog with this info. What do the brain trust know ? Correct info or no?

Deceased......YES.  TH and PHA FREE...... Homozygous Black and Solid Patterned.

TottenClubCalves

Sadly yes he is deceased =[ but he is th and pha free. I beleiev there is stills emen on him available and would recommend flushing highly

jbh

Totten Club Calves said:
Sadly yes he is deceased =[ but he is th and pha free. I beleiev there is stills emen on him available and would recommend flushing highly

I'm still setting alright on semen for 2010.....the WILL NOT BE a raise in price........Hannibal still works as bout as good on the really little cows as ANYTHING! Not perfect....but NONE are!

SPL

I had alway thought Hannibal was Homozygous black and solid patterned, but I remember a few ads from several years back that had red calves pictured as Hannibal's.  I mentioned it on here one time before in a thread, but no one else had an answer for me.

TottenClubCalves

jbh said:
Totten Club Calves said:

I'm still setting alright on semen for 2010.....the WILL NOT BE a raise in price........Hannibal still works as bout as good on the really little cows as ANYTHING! Not perfect....but NONE are!

Brad, Hannibal is amazing, I have always thought hat he was one of the more consistent bulls out there. We have some daughters down in Florida that may not wow you with a ton of power but every calving season produce some of the nicest fanciest calves here. I'm gonna have to take you up on some semen this year for sure.

jbh

SPL said:
I had alway thought Hannibal was Homozygous black and solid patterned, but I remember a few ads from several years back that had red calves pictured as Hannibal's.  I mentioned it on here one time before in a thread, but no one else had an answer for me.

I didn't OWN him at that time, but do remember some being advertised.....let's just say that since I've owned him, I have NEVER seen a red one or ANY with spotting other than on their head or belly.  Theoretically, a homozygous black bull has a 1% chance of siring a red one they say.......

PRO

What are the birthweights like on hannibal?  I have a Strictly business cow that I would like to use him on, and I also have a New Direction/Destiny's Ace 2nd calf heifer that I was thinking of using him on as well.  The heifer was an ET calf of the Res Champ Queen of Hearts.  I'm not to worried about  the SB cow, but I'm a little hesitant about the heifer.  Thanks in advance

knabe

jbh said:
Theoretically, a homozygous black bull has a 1% chance of siring a red one they say.......

How?

if he's a red carrier mated to 98 black cows who are homozygous black and mated to two cows who are red carriers, then you would get a 1% chance of a red calf on all 100 and 50% chance on the two carriers.  is there another explanation that needs elucidation?

jbh

knabe said:
jbh said:
Theoretically, a homozygous black bull has a 1% chance of siring a red one they say.......

How?

if he's a red carrier mated to 98 black cows who are homozygous black and mated to two cows who are red carriers, then you would get a 1% chance of a red calf on all 100 and 50% chance on the two carriers.  is there another explanation that needs elucidation?

I'm obviously NO SCIENTIST....but, I was always told by professionals many times, that with anything homozygous that it's ONLY 99%......maybe that's just a tale, I don't know.....but I actually had it happen before to me personally......the red calf WAS red....but it was kind of a more CLAY COLORED red, MANY YEARS ago on an AI sire that wasn't mine.

RCF Farms

Brad, I have a small harrietta son which is (harrietta x full force) x 1/4 meyer. Could I breed her to hannibal  being double shot of who?

jbh

RCF Farms said:
Brad, I have a small harrietta son which is (harrietta x full force) x 1/4 meyer. Could I breed her to hannibal  being double shot of who?

If she has the BAD Who characteristics.....I WOULDN"T.....if she is SOUND and COWY.......I would probable try it.

Dusty

jbh said:
knabe said:
jbh said:

How?

I'm obviously NO SCIENTIST....but, I was always told by professionals many times, that with anything homozygous that it's ONLY 99%......maybe that's just a tale, I don't know.....but I actually had it happen before to me personally......the red calf WAS red....but it was kind of a more CLAY COLORED red, MANY YEARS ago on an AI sire that wasn't mine.

I have seen a red calf out of a homo black bull...  It was an ET calf and it was really one of those WTF moments..  But alas it dna'd to the sire and was tested as being homo black.  IT was a real dark red and got a little darker as it grew.  It had a black nose...