Hannibal

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

I saw on hooks website that Hannibal is deceased and only 4,000 units of semen would be sold before a price increase. With the way ali has gone out the roof what does everyone think Hannibal will go to? Would it maybe be a good investment because of all the good calves that he has produced?

knabe

what have hannibal daughters done?  seems to me his breeding would be storing a lot of heterozygosity.  what types does he nick with versus improve?

Jill

I've never really cared much for Hannibal, something about his head and neck just sits funny for me, I have also seen a lot of structure issues with his calves.  Ali had a niche market as being one of the few Maine, clubbier bulls that could still keep the birthweights down, I don't see Hannibal as having a stand out market that can't be filled with another bull, he may increase some, I don't see him going through the roof.

knabe

one has to maintain perspective to determine if one is going through the roof, or if the roof is coming down around one.

Jill

knabe said:
one has to maintain perspective to determine if one is going through the roof, or if the roof is coming down around one.
Let's just say there aren't many bulls that I would pay more than 20-25 for semen, I pay the fee for Heat Wave because I don't think there is anything that has replaced his success, I am going to pay the 50 for Irish Whiskey to use on some purbred Angus cows, if I was sure on the matings I would pay the money for Draft Pick, Fr Magic etc, bulls that have a consistant good maternal product.  I wouldn't even consider paying more than 25 for Ali or Hannibal but that is just my opinion.

OH Breeder

Jill said:
knabe said:
Let's just say there aren't many bulls that I would pay more than 20-25 for semen, I pay the fee for Heat Wave because I don't think there is anything that has replaced his success, I am going to pay the 50 for Irish Whiskey to use on some purbred Angus cows, if I was sure on the matings I would pay the money for Draft Pick, Fr Magic etc, bulls that have a consistant good maternal product.   I wouldn't even consider paying more than 25 for Ali or Hannibal but that is just my opinion.

ditto
I have not ever been that impressed with Ali. For some reason I have never found him consistent. He is not a cow changer to me. I saw several calves from different farms last summer. To me you couldn't really say he stamped a hip in them or made them small. It really depended on the females. JMO.

DL

OH Breeder said:
Jill said:
knabe said:
Let's just say there aren't many bulls that I would pay more than 20-25 for semen, I pay the fee for Heat Wave because I don't think there is anything that has replaced his success, I am going to pay the 50 for Irish Whiskey to use on some purbred Angus cows, if I was sure on the matings I would pay the money for Draft Pick, Fr Magic etc, bulls that have a consistant good maternal product.  I wouldn't even consider paying more than 25 for Ali or Hannibal but that is just my opinion.

ditto
I have not ever been that impressed with Ali. For some reason I have never found him consistent. He is not a cow changer to me. I saw several calves from different farms last summer. To me you couldn't really say he stamped a hip in them or made them small. It really depended on the females. JMO.

Agree with you on Ali - he never really tripped my trigger. In fact I am not super thrilled with any of the newer Maine bulls, certainly not where I would pay big bucks for them. I would however pay the big bucks for clean maternal genetics - Magic and Midas in the Maines and Gizmo in the Shorthorns - I'm not keen on hype and I'm not keen on fads but I really like those 3 bulls for what they bring to my cowherd

showsteerdlux

I agree with the structural issues. My buddy had a heifer that was short strided. She had her first calf and didnt milk and couldnt get around the pasture good so she got shipped.