Hard core Calving ease

Help Support Steer Planet:

keith

We are planning on using Hard core on some heifers this year, he is advertised as being calving ease but have heard that might not be the case. How big do his calves come, and what kind of cows does he work best on? Any advise would be very much appreciated

justme

I've not had a bit of trouble with Hard Core, but my heifers bloodlines reflect calving ease.  I wouldn't use him on a Heatwave heifer that's for sure.  I think our heaviest was last year at 86 pounds.  Just really look at your heifers breeding to help you decide. 

inthebarnagain

I had three heifers bred to him, two calved easily BUT they were big heifers, 1/4 simmi, 3/4 Angus.  The third died as she started to calve.  Literally dropped dead, no struggle or anything.  When we moved her she had bright red blood come out of her nose and mouth.  Our vet said she probably ruptured her pulmonary artery.  Of course she was our pet, my 9 year old daughter who owned her was totally beside herself. 

Back to the topic, the calves were both 80 pounds (bulls) and I don't think I would use him again on heifers.  I am going to stick with negative birthweight EPD's.  If I recall he is over 2.

savaged

I had a very small Hardcore heifer (55 lbs) out of a Mossy Oak, moderate sized cow this spring.  Nice bone, but a pretty average calf otherwise.

Latest posts