hard steer towalk

Help Support Steer Planet:

jasper

Hi everyone ! This is my first post. :) This is a very good site..lot's of info.
My son has a steer and heifer .  He has been working with both of them very hard.
Sometimes it just really seems like they don't want to do anything. I don't know what he/we is doing wrong. They are both halter broke, walk right up and pet them both.etc.
They are both walked ( well, sort of)  or tied w/ head up 2x's a day. everyday. We live in S. Fl. so it is hot here, we go early in morning and in evening.
They just dont want to walk ?? Please give me any suggestions.

steer is almost 1 yr old and weighs about 750 ish (maine anjoun)
heiffer is about 8 months old and about 450 lbs. -limo

Thanks !!

Turkey Creek Ranch

You are having the same problem we had. Do you have a small tractor, or can you find one to use for a day or two? If so, just hook them up behind there, and pull them along at a nice steady walking pace. They will learn to "Obey The Halter", lol

SKF

What part of S. Florida do you live in?  Have you tried having someone walk behind them? Sometimes our calves don't want to walk and usually if someone gets behind them they go. Also are they stalled up? My daughter has a heifer that hates to walk because she does not like to leave her stall but once we get her far enough from her stall she walks fine.  Plue try taking them to some prospect shows it will help. There's pleanty of shows coming up in Fl. Good Luck!

Show Dad

(welcome)

Jasper - If you do the tractor watch out and don't over due it. You can give the animal neck strain or hoof problems if they are particularly stubborn. Try getting them to walk first with SKF's suggestion first. If the steer is not to big and you have time before you show him, using a donkey would help too.
<alien>

jasper

thanks !! we did try walking behind this a.m.  it seems as if he may have moved a little better :)

we dont have a tractor or donkey. However, if this continues with no progress. We will have to get one.
I'll keep this updated .

thanks again !!

jasper

here is the steer a few weeks back

Attachments

• 100_0898.JPG
    100_0898.JPG
    655.5 KB · Views: 264