Hardcore or Gigelo Joe

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rustynail

I have a few heifers that I am planning to AI( a couple Pale Face and some purebred Angus)  What would be the pro's and con's of these two bulls?  What are the calves looking like out of them? 

Thanks for any comments.

justme

Gigolo Joe is a little easier calving from my experiences with both bulls.  Joe calves seem to be calmer (better temperment) as a group than the Hard Cores I've had.  I feel as a maine breeder I like Gigolo Joe a tad better.  He's more my type.  Clubby wise I liked my Hard cores.  You do have a chance of red with both bulls just to let you know.  Both are nice bulls, I just like Joe's pedigree and these other features better than Hard Core

kanshow

We've never used Joe but did use Hard Core on some cows last year.  Those calves were big and had big shoulders & hips.   Based on that, I would NOT use HC on heifers. 

CAB

I bred 3 heifers to Gig a year ago & had no troubles calving them. He can throw some color depending on the cow. Calves are good structured and complete. Sold one steer, keeping 1 heifer and sold one heifer through the sale barn. She was gray out of a smoke Simi cross cow. Very good dispositions.

herefordfootball

I'd go with joe. I think with Hard Core you can A or C grade calves. With Joe I think you'll consistently get B grade or higher calves. I've heard of a few guys with calving problems with Hard Core. Just what I've heard and my opinion.

Joe Boy

Have not used Joe yet but will.  I used Hard Core heavy this year and even bred some Brangus to him.  My calves have not been too large for a cow, but I would not breed him to a heifer based on what I have heard.  His calves do have a little disposition sad the guy with a HC torn MCL.

Rustynail

Thanks for all the responses.  I was kind of leaning towards Joe and I think that you all just finished making up my mind.  How are the front ends on Joe's calves.