Has anyone used HRF Hairy? I would like opinions on calving ease.

Help Support Steer Planet:

yellowdog5

I am considering using HRF Hairy on some of my Larger SimAngus cows.  I am concerned about calving ease.  Any opinions?  His owners tell me he works well on this type of cow, but I just wanted more opinions.  Also, have you been happy with his calves?

CAB

I'll just say that one of the biggest calves I've ever seen  was a Hairy calf. They can be huge. This one was out of a Sunseeker cow. The calves are good though.

ai er

I have only had one out of WMW X Angus cow, and it was like 80-85 lbs.  Sorry can't be of more help.

olsun

We got 3 calves from him, one average sized, and two were way too large. I like the one that lived.

LLBUX

My father bred 5 cows to the Select Sires bull Hairy(I assume the same one)
Only one cow stuck.  Calf born about two weeks ago.
It is a bull calf about 80-85 pounds and out of a big Angus cow.
Looks good, but quite early to tell much.

oakie

The competition had some at our fair. I thought they were plain and had holes in their backs. I believe they had bad legs also, but it was a few years ago. From what I saw I wouldn't use him, they were just too plain

wessington

He seems to works best on moderate framed sim x angus, angus or THC cows since he is free of genetic defects. Heifer calves out of him are real nice, our calves out of him have been 75 - 95 lbs. with no calving issues to date.

furinsilex

We love this bull.  He has worked great for us to sire "no holes steers" and great replacement club calf heifers.  The steers he sires in my opinion are great for county fairs and things like that aas normally they have litttle to no structure problems, and are very nice balanced just wont blow you away in any way.  His heifers though are making awesome cows for us.  You do have to watch birthweight DEFFINITLY use ONLY on Mature cows.  From our experience they are going to be big but not huge cow killers.

cattledoll

I have 2 heifers born this year both 75lbs. and they are awesome very nice heifers i will be keeping them in the herd ,and also will be shown.

hntwhitetail

hntwhitetail said:
Had a real good Hairy Heifer out of a 5yr old maine/angus.  was about 85lbs... 

Heifer looks great and is bred to my I-80 son for a spring calf.

BLSC

We raised a Hairy daughter that ended up Champion Low % Simmental at World Beef Expo in 2009 at the Open Show beating Bloomberg's good heifer that year. She was actually featured in a select sires catalog a few years ago. Ended up making a great cow. She wasn't 80 lbs when she was born, but she was out of a purebred simme cow that has no clubby in her background.