Hats and Showing

Help Support Steer Planet:

walter

To help you understand my position more clearly, you need to know that I do have experience as a showman and have won showmanship contests at the national level, not just at the local or county level.  Which I believe proves I have a good understanding of how to get my calf noticed by a judge.  I agree – the example you give is ridiculous.  My point of wearing a hat has nothing to do with what the judge is doing or wearing.

Where we disagree, though, is when you say that when you are in a show ring, you and your calf are two separate entities.  You and your calf are really one unit.  Your calf should be presented as the best it can be, and you should present yourself as a professional also.  The more polished you look, the better the whole package looks and the better you will do.  So individuality, and how you accomplish that, along with the choices you make will help determine your success.  This is true in any profession. 

The idea of what makes a professional showman, and how to make your calf stand out to a judge, should be up to each person to decide. It could be a western hat, a sparkly belt or a show halter with sequins. The idea is to make your calf stand out from the crowd by whatever means you feel works.  Young people should be learning how to think for themselves, whether it’s in the show ring or in real life.  That’s why freedom is important, to choose what we want to do and to make ourselves better professionals.

flacowman

The only time I ever wore a hat in the ring was at our Cattlemen's and Jr. Cattlemen's shows, it's an unwritten rule that cattlemen's doins require hats.  I wear a resistol all the time anyways so my cattle are used to them, and I agree that bling should be discouraged, we menfolk already lack the physiological specifics to draw attention to ourselves and I just cannot make myself respect a man who wears rhinestones on his belt  <cowboy>

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
walter said:
To help you understand my position more clearly, you need to know that I do have experience as a showman and have won showmanship contests at the national level, not just at the local or county level.  Which I believe proves I have a good understanding of how to get my calf noticed by a judge.  I agree – the example you give is ridiculous.  My point of wearing a hat has nothing to do with what the judge is doing or wearing.

Where we disagree, though, is when you say that when you are in a show ring, you and your calf are two separate entities.  You and your calf are really one unit.  Your calf should be presented as the best it can be, and you should present yourself as a professional also.  The more polished you look, the better the whole package looks and the better you will do.  So individuality, and how you accomplish that, along with the choices you make will help determine your success.  This is true in any profession. 

The idea of what makes a professional showman, and how to make your calf stand out to a judge, should be up to each person to decide. It could be a western hat, a sparkly belt or a show halter with sequins. The idea is to make your calf stand out from the crowd by whatever means you feel works.  Young people should be learning how to think for themselves, whether it’s in the show ring or in real life.  That’s why freedom is important, to choose what we want to do and to make ourselves better professionals.

Well said.

AAOK

I prefer the philosophy of Bum Phillips, legendary coach of the Houston Oilers.  His Mamma taught him to never wear his Hat inside.  At the Astrodome, he was always bare headed, but at away games, always wore his Stetson.  And, for the younger generation, that is exactly the rule of Proper Etiquette

tj1993

If you do wear a cowboy hat, are there unwritten rules as to when to wear a straw and when to wear a felt hat?

Silver

tj1993 said:
If you do wear a cowboy hat, are there unwritten rules as to when to wear a straw and when to wear a felt hat?

That should change with the weather. The only person you will ever see wearing a felt cowboy hat in the summer is a wanna be.

Latest posts