Hauling heavy bred heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

Just looking for tips on hauling a heifer that will be due in 30 days seven hours.  I have concerns about hauling one that close to her due date.

frostback

Heavy bedding. You said heifers so they should be happier with a group. I have had to do this a couple times and have more backward calves. Watch them close during calving.

leanbeef

I don't consider 30 days before calving to be too critical a time to haul, but definitely give your heifer plenty of room on the trip. Hauling will cause some stress, and that's the worst part about the situation, so make her as comfortable as possible, and you'll help minimize the amount of stress and any possible negative impact. The more calm or easy going your heifer is, the easier that will be to do. Crowding her or packing her in like a sardine would not be recommended. She should be fine.

Hauling one just before calving is a lot safer in my mind than having to haul a newborn baby, so... The sooner the better.

Good luck!

upthecreek

About 15 years ago I hauled livestock commercially.  One Sunday am in February myself and another driver loaded 2 potloads of cull cows to go to Green Bay, WI from Winnipeg, MB, a run of about 750 miles.  When we unloaded that night at the plant in Green Bay there was a newborn calf laying on the floor in one of the trailers.  We dried him off wrapped him in a blanket and found some clean straw and I hauled him 750 miles back home.  I had to make a few "unscheduled stops" find some colostrum and feed the little guy.  We made it home and othe than a bit of frostbite on his ears he lived to finish at 1300 pounds.