Hauling Post-Breeding

Help Support Steer Planet:

husker1

I think this has been discussed on here before, but I can't locate a thread.

What is everyone's take on hauling after A.I. or E.T. is done? 

My question is...if you keep them around until they are thought to be safe in calf...after day 25 say...how soon is it safe to haul then?  Safe 35 days into the pregnancy?

I realize it'd be better to keep them in one place for a couple months, but ours are in drylot and need to get to grass.

thanks.

chambero

We had some eggs put in last year and were told that if we were going to move them (which we did), to do so as soon as possible.  We hauled them out to the pasture the next day. We've hauled immediately after AIing (10-20 miles) with no noticeable effects. 

I just would make sure to haul them early or late to avoid heat and not pack them in too tight.  All about minimizing stress.

lightnin4

I went to a repro conference a couple of years ago...they said it was safe to move 3-5 days after A.I. and then don't stress them until 45 days post breeding.  The embryo isn't fully implanted until 45 days.

Limiman12

So you are saying that the group of heifers we had cycled, aied then  a windstorm come through five days later that broke fence allowing them to get out and wander all day in 90 heat and the rodeo that followed when some good intentioned highschol kids found them and chased them back on four wheeler and motor cycle might have hurt our conception rate :mad:

JSchroeder

We were told the same about moving ASAP after embryo transfer.  Unfortunatley the guys who loaded for us didnt even wait for the lidocaine to wear off.  Long story short a pecker would have turned us away by the time we got home they were so bad.

3 of 11 stuck.

frostback

You dont want to move cows around the 30 day from breed time. That is when the embryo is trying to attach.

GONEWEST

^^^^
What he said. Egg begins to attach around day 30 and continues until 45. It's one reason show heifers are difficult to breed. If you're constantly hauling them around it makes things difficult.

Bawndoh

What about moving BEFORE breeding.  I will be relocating some cows about 60 miles and to a different type of pasture.  I was planning on giving them 2 weeks to settle before I estrumate and breed.  However, the timeline I am running into is only allowing me about 5 days of rest.

RidinHeifer

Right away, or I was told to wait until second stage--to show or otherwise stress

LostFarmer

I AI and load in the truck to pasture.  It is only a 7 mile ride and it is usually only 2 or 3 pair in a stock trailer.  I haven't been able to see enough variance in conception to know. 

ploughshare

My embryologist says not to move the cows/heifers from day 9 to day 17 after estrus for both AI or embryos.