Have you ever had a calf do this

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

I have a Dr. Who x H.Seeker heifer who ive had since yesterday, shes had a halter on her since last night, shes still a bit feisty but shes figured out how to fool me, she just lays down  or walks on her ankles, she'll stay just like that until i leave or turn my back, she refuses to get up. Any suggestions  :p

showcattlegal

I never try to lead them for a couple of days just tie them up and bush them blow just get our hands on them, after they start standing with a lose lead then I start trying to lead them around. On the first couple of days I don't take the halter off just let them drag it and they learn to give to a lot better.

SKF

My daughter had a steer that use to flop over and would lay there until we walked away from him. One day he did it on the wash rack which is concrete so I know it hurt and he stopped it. This year her steer would go down on his knees anytime he had to do something he did not want to do and would stay that way until we walked away. We started squirting water on his face everytime he did it and he would get up. Now he has stopped doing that. Good Luck

Telos

Farm Boy-- I would first be patient.  Let her settle in and acclimate to the new environment.  She is probably a little fearful of the change and needs to feel secure
with her new home. Let her know you will not harm her. You always have to talk nice to the girls ( heifers ). Good luck!

farmboy

I just sold one(heifer) she was testy then i sang to her... ::) :p Im just wandering if them laying down on you in mid stride is normal

Ive solved it, im not getting anywhere tying her, so i use my self as a pivot. She can run around me and i spin and she stops and i put my hands on her, seems to be working better than tying, for me atleast

Attachments

• AnimatedBull1.gif
    AnimatedBull1.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 641

renegade

My bull would do that as a weanling, just flop on his side when i would try and lead him. I tried letting him drag a rope halter and he would get it off so i tried one that is like a show halter but nylon but wouldn't fit him right. I got really busy and couldn't work him for like a month(i know bad me but its a long story) and i went back put a halter on him and he led off like a dream. I think that by that time he had really just started trusting me, the steers were already broke by then and i could walk up to them in the pen without them running off so he must have thought walking behind me was ok :D.

knabe

pretend you are robert redford, sit down next to her, blow in her nose, let her lick the salt off your skin somewhere and let her check you out.  whatever she does and you relent is the EXACT principle used to train.  you are trained, you walked away, and she thought, hmm, i sit down, he walks away, simple.  robert wouldn't condone that.  remember, when you are leading her, she can't resist checking out your levis.