Have you ever had a TH/PHA calf at your farm?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Have you had a TH/PHA calf at your place?

• Yes, PHA

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Yes, TH

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Both!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

red

This is a question you can expand on itf you want too!
We've had 2 TH calves here.
Thank goodness no PHA calves.
Red

char

we had a pha calf and thought it was th....that was before the pha....now we are positive it was pha....darn
char

DLD

2 PHA's, I guess. 1 was way before we ever heard of PHA - that one was about 30 days early and probably weighed 75 pounds, just starting to fill up with fluid. Knowing what I know now, I'm sure that was a PHA (by Godfather out of a Payback daughter). The other just a little over a year ago, was prob'ly full term. I'll just say it was ugly...

No matter the impression some may get from my saying that I'm not going to absolutely quit using carriers, I can assure you I'll be doing everything in my power to avoid having another affected calf.

DL

DLD said:
2 PHA's, I guess. 1 was way before we ever heard of PHA - that one was about 30 days early and probably weighed 75 pounds, just starting to fill up with fluid. Knowing what I know now, I'm sure that was a PHA (by Godfather out of a Payback daughter). The other just a little over a year ago, was prob'ly full term. I'll just say it was ugly...

No matter the impression some may get from my saying that I'm not going to absolutely quit using carriers, I can assure you I'll be doing everything in my power to avoid having another affected calf.

Well DLD am I glad to see you -  still got those Beefpacas? You know they are genetic free and hypoallergenic and kid friendly, mother approved!

I think it is a personal choice and if managed and the breeder is honest (and I  put you in that category) then that's OK - I wouldn't do it - but I ain't you and you ain't me (and we are both probably glad of that AMEN!)

SHort story - got an email from a vet who did the 2nd C-section on a Shorthorn cow for a PHA calf - this time they used a "free" bull - that would be poor management!  ;D

To answer the question - NO TH calves, NO PHA calves (don't want any either), sun out, Sabres on a roll, calves growing and they are 80% bulls! dl

DLD

Hey DL, good to see you, too. I'm a little slow I guess - I'd been wondering what happened to everybody... lol

I will say this, as time goes by, my aversion to the carrier cattle grows. I'm gonna have to love 'em a whole lot to want to keep 'em around.

If you'll remember, I wasn't doing the Beefpaca thing. I've been too busy with the purple roans ;)

red

CB3 is the breeder of the beefpacas!
I'm like you DLD- I have a couple of carriers in my bunch. Am just going to continue to use them & test, test & test like crazy. My biggest problem is that one of my best heifers so far this year is out of Cowboy Cut. It's hard to look at her & not want to use him again. :-\

Red

DL

DLD said:
Hey DL, good to see you, too. I'm a little slow I guess - I'd been wondering what happened to everybody... lol

I will say this, as time goes by, my aversion to the carrier cattle grows. I'm gonna have to love 'em a whole lot to want to keep 'em around.

If you'll remember, I wasn't doing the Beefpaca thing. I've been too busy with the purple roans ;)

Oh my mind must be addled - I know CB_3 has the word famous Beefpaca breeder but I forgot all about the purple roans---please forgive me!!  Welcome aboard - we don't call people nasty names here - even if we disagree - imagine that! How is the purple roan business? dl ;D

Telos

I've had a PHA calf sired by Godfather, too. Interesting DLD, mine also came early and looked like he was just starting to swell.

Gosh all these new members is making me feel like at my family reunion.

deep

Hi Jack !!
Thought about you last week when the weather guy said tornadoes in Dallas/ Ft. Worth area !!!

(dog)

Telos

Hi deep!! Good to see ya!!!

I'm liking the way DL uses to word "see". Just hope they don't ask us to to show a picture of ourselves on Steer Planet. Mine wouldn't be very pretty, but guess I'm not trying to sell any of my genetic makeup to anyone.

This season the storms have missed me. They have been to the north and south of where I live. We still need a lot more rain.

Gypsy

We bought a bred heifer 6 or 7 years ago, (bred to Eskimo Joe) and she had a PHA calf (c-section).  Full term.  Did not have a clue what PHA was. Had a 2nd PHA calf born December 2005.  Six weeks early.  C-section on the recip.  Did not breed back.  Calf was out of VBCC Vaquero (Ice Pick x Habenero's dam) and WDLC American Woman.  ABSOLUTELY GROTESQUE calf and situation.  Devastating :'(  and disappointing.  I will never use a PHAC bull again (or THC for that matter) and I will never sell another PHAC bull again.  I have some potential (Vaquero, Ice Pick, and Frosty sons) carriers born this spring but I will cut them after testing if they are carriers.  I have lots of Frosty and Cowboy Cut (not to mention Vaquero) semen for sale at a big discount.  I won't be using it.  To each their own as far as whether or not to be PHA/TH free or "manage" the problems.  But for me, I think life is too short and there are way too many good bulls out there to spend much time and effort "managing" this problem.

Jill

We haven't ever had a TH or PHA calf, just been really lucky with the bloodlines we chose since our herd is 90% Maine and 5% Shorhorn.

Gypsy

You know on another message board Red this question would have gotten you a "BIG SHAME ON YOU" comment.  I am so glad that people on this board can comment about their experiences and opinions without the thought police saying snotty things about us.  I know that there are many different thoughts on this subject and many different ways to handle it.  I am just glad to be able to relate my experience with it because I know that if I had known about PHA 5 years ago I might be able to say that I was lucky in the bloodlines I chose to use.  Instead, because the problem was ignored and covered up for so long by several breeders I am having to deal with this problem when I really don't want to.  If these same breeders had not covered up the problem and let people make the choice to use the bull or not I think that would have been a LOT more ethical!  If the bull is so great he would have been used anyway, right?  Thanks for having this forum for people to express opinions and share experiences and knowledge without being told "shame on you".