Have you seen any Wymore calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ELBEE

I would like some objective comments on his calves. There were a couple hundred units distributed last spring, so should be some calves somewhere. This is the only chat room I feel comfortable asking about our own bulls on.

Lee

red

wow, Elbee- I wish I had know before the Expo. I could have done some scouting for you. I'll keep my ears open.

Red

DL

Hey ELBEE - I'll sure keep my eyes open at the MI Beef Expo - would be anxious to see them. On another similar topic

(and I have been meaning to ask but just haven't gotten my act together....)

I have 2 straws of Gizmo and have a cow picked out but before I breed her I'd like you assessment of the bull- the good and the bad - what kind of cows he works best on, what he passes on to offspring etc - I have seen some awesome Gizmo daughters and of course I am always looking for heifers...thanks a bunch, DL

ps then I'll tell you about the cow  (cow)

ELBEE

He can fix structure problems, as in put flex in the hock. He'll pretty up the head and front end, and I've yet to see one with a bad attitude. Don't expect any increase in performance. Clubbie types will stay clubbie, big broody types will moderate. Our best calves come from the more extreme angular type. One of those in herd crosses resulted  Wymore. Don't use him on anything sickle hocked.

DL

ELBEE - Big old Maine cow, looks like the old fullbloods but is a purebred - Cornerstone dam so don't need additional performance. Correct, heavy boned, great disposition. Calves every year on one straw and has had some nice calves but I have yet to find a bull that really clicked with her. Am searching for the "clicker"! Am looking to moderate and maybe pretty up the udder - I think she is beautiful but a prettier head and neck couldn't hurt! And I don't want black. Think Gizmo might be the ticket? Thanks. DL

red

Elbee- are these his first calves?
DL- you have gotten some of our Jake semen. Red & white purebred Maine. clean as a whistle. Out of my red cow & Easy (Elmo x Witch Doctor) He puts out some really nice patterned calves.

Red

ELBEE

DL, I hope Gizmo is the click your looking for. As far as udders go, most are beautiful, but I saw one that was goat shaped once.

Red, yes these are the first AI calves, but Pollmans have 3 crops natural service maybe 50-60 calves out of various cross, mostly Simmy % and Shorthorns. We have 1 steer out on the show circut, our only 06 by him.

Show Heifer

So, this might not be the place to ask, BUT....
I am looking for a red or red and white bull to breed my red cows to. (I want red or red and white calves)
So maybe Jake from Red? Or Wymore from Elbee? 
Elbee- I had several people recommend your Wymore bull last year, but chose KaBoom instead....not sure if that was the right thing, so....
My cows are angusXgelv and LimiXAngus cross, but also need something to breed Pearl, my white Okie Dokie heifer to. By the way, she is FREE of everything!!!!
So, Wymore? Jake? Another option?

OH Breeder

Show Heifer said:
So, this might not be the place to ask, BUT....
I am looking for a red or red and white bull to breed my red cows to. (I want red or red and white calves)
So maybe Jake from Red? Or Wymore from Elbee? 
Elbee- I had several people recommend your Wymore bull last year, but chose KaBoom instead....not sure if that was the right thing, so....
My cows are angusXgelv and LimiXAngus cross, but also need something to breed Pearl, my white Okie Dokie heifer to. By the way, she is FREE of everything!!!!
So, Wymore? Jake? Another option?
Heifer, I would use Gizmo. I am so pleased with my Gizmo x Simmi baby. She does have a wonderful attitude. Very small feminine head and came unassisted on first calf lazy show heifer.

Attachments

• Fergi's Baby Rear3.jpg
    Fergi's Baby Rear3.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 353

red

Show Hef- using full disclosure on Jake- if your cows throw them big- don't use him. He can throw a big one every once in a while.
Also have semen a 1/2 brother to him. Out of Habanero & Wild Rose. He's black & white but does have red calves too.

Red

Show Heifer

Well, my one red cow had a 126# out of SS Kaboom, so maybe not Jake!
And is Gizmo the $100 Shorthorn Gizmo? I sure liked the pic of your calf Elbee....might be the way to go!!

ELBEE

Show Heifer, Wymore has definatly proven himself at Pollmans, If he had'nt I would'nt have offered him to the public. Now, i'd just like to here from the public on those calves. Which Gizmo calf of ours have you seen?

OH Breeder

Show Heifer said:
Well, my one red cow had a 126# out of SS Kaboom, so maybe not Jake!
And is Gizmo the $100 Shorthorn Gizmo? I sure liked the pic of your calf Elbee....might be the way to go!!
The Gizmo calf is mine Show Heifer. She is out of Direct Hit x Mr Corrector daughter.  This i s the mother of the calf.

Attachments

• AGR-05 Fergy3.jpg
    AGR-05 Fergy3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 309
  • Fergi's Baby Front 2[2].jpg
    Fergi's Baby Front 2[2].jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 333

Telos

OH BREEDER AND EVERYONE ELSE--- You guys really know how to breed cattle. There are more great calves on this site then you can shack a stick at.

Super cool calf,  OH BREEDER!  I think that's what they call HITTING A HOME RUN.  Great color pattern too!

red

Elbee- I'd love to see some pictures of the Wymore calves. Got any to share?
I agree Telos about Oh B's red calf. Everytime he sends me a picture & she's in the corner of it I comment on her.

Red

OH Breeder

Telos said:
OH BREEDER AND EVERYONE ELSE--- You guys really know how to breed cattle. There are more great calves on this site then you can shack a stick at.

Super cool calf,  OH BREEDER!  I think that's what they call HITTING A HOME RUN.  Great color pattern too!

Thank you. I am quiet pleased. As Red knows, we are little guys in the area. My program gets its roots from many great disperal sales across the country. When I got back into it, it is cheaper to buy a little older bred cow with calf on side that has some history than it is sometimes to buy show heifers. It seems it is starting to pay off.
Great looking bull Telos!  ;)you should talk. Would really like to see him front and back views. Like him.
I think it is great to see all the calves on here. From a breeders perspective, it gives me an idea what works and what doesn't. It is one thing to see the bulls in the catalog, but what hits the ground is what makes a difference. RSC calves are outstanding. I am too small yet to experience with totally new bulls. I try to stick to what is tried and true.
Really appreciate this site and this is one of the reasons. Thanks Steerplanet!

Show Heifer

I'm sorry for the mix up on my part!! Elbee, I had confused the red and white calf as yours instead of OH Breeder. I guess that is called "getting older?"!
Anyway, Elbee: Do you have any photos of Wymore calves?
Hopefully the sun will shine this weekend and I'll get photos of my critters to share later!
OH Breeder: Nice calf! Do you have any other Gizmos??

DL

ELBEE  - I looked high and low for Wymore calves at the MI Beef Expo - everyone I asked said no they hadn't seen any at Expo but the ones they had seen were great and/or the bull is great....so I have failed in my mission.

Bred the big red cow to Gizmo - please do a little fertility chant - we want a heifer! thanks DL

ELBEE

DL, thanks for asking around at MI expo. I want to make a trip to Pollmans to see the new Wymore calves. When I do I'll be sure to take the Kodak. Mean while back at the ranch! Titan, same sire as Wymore, damm's have same sire, great-grand sires are half brothers sired by Improver 3rd. (Explain that relationship)! Anyway Titan is our Junior herd sire here at home, and I'd be more than happy to post some pictures of his calves.