having trouble getting PHA results

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap

Have had 2 samples on a donor cow sent to IL for PHA testing and don't seem to be able to get an answer from anybody at SEK on the status.  Since I know some of you are knowledgeable about the process, I was wondering if you could help me in the search for her results.
Info on cow listed below
#24 Cow
Elsie
Registration Name - MOH Miss Draft Pick 80G
Registraion Number - 265644 Maine Anjou Association
Birthdate - 3/27/1997
Tattoo LE - 80G
          RE - MOH

Thanks
Chap

red

Chap- did you call Dr Beever's directly? SEK is just going to know semen bull's tests.
Number is 217-333-4194

good luck, crossing my fingers!

Red

DL

Chap said:
Have had 2 samples on a donor cow sent to IL for PHA testing and don't seem to be able to get an answer from anybody at SEK on the status.  Since I know some of you are knowledgeable about the process, I was wondering if you could help me in the search for her results.
Info on cow listed below
#24 Cow
Elsie
Registration Name - MOH Miss Draft Pick 80G
Registraion Number - 265644 Maine Anjou Association
Birthdate - 3/27/1997
Tattoo LE - 80G
          RE - MOH

Thanks
Chap

OK GUYS, AND NOT PICKING ON YOU CHAP! JUST REMEMBER POOR PLANNING ON SOMEONES PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON EVERYONE ELSE'S PART. IT GENERALLY TAKES 2 WEEKS (14 DAYS) FROM THE TIME THE SAMPLES ARRIVE UNTIL RESULTS ARE AVAILABLE - JUST BECAUSE YOU SEND YOUR SAMPLES THE 17TH DOESN'T MEAN YOU GET RESULTS THE 18TH - THE SAMPLES MAY NOT HAVE EVEN ARRIVED YET!!! AND IT IS 2 WEEKS  IF THINGS ARE AT THERE USUAL PACE - IF THERE ARE BIG SHOWS OR SALES COMING UP (OR HEAVEN FORBID BARREL RACER IS ALLOWED A DAY OFF OR EVEN 2) - IT MAY TAKE LONGER.  LAUTNERS SAMPLES ARRIVED MARCH 2ND, LITTLE LATE FOR THE CATALOG, EH? SO CHAP I UNDERSTAND YOU TALKED TO DR B AND THEREFORE SHOULD BE UNDER CONTROL ---- BUT TO EVERYONE PLEASE PLAN AHEAD!! THEY ARE GOOD AND THEY WORK HARD BUT THEY CANNOT PERFORM MIRACLES ON A DAILY BASIS (NUMBER OF MIRACLES IS LIMITED!!)

steers4u

Right now 2 weeks is off a little. You had best figure 30 days. My blood was drawn March 19 arrived on the 21st and results were given on the 20th of April. Also you now call SEK for results. Hope this helps.

red

Wow, great- Thank you steers! Wonder why the associations don't that piece of information!

Red

DL

steers4u said:
Right now 2 weeks is off a little. You had best figure 30 days. My blood was drawn March 19 arrived on the 21st and results were given on the 20th of April. Also you now call SEK for results. Hope this helps.

Yeah - I forgot the lab shuts down for the whole week of Easter! (joke, laugh!! ;D ;D)

Bottom line - PLAN AHEAD!!

Chap

Thanks, I did talk to Dr B.  He assured me that he had received the sample, which was my biggest concern, as the 1st was sent in early March and they couldn't find it (lost in mail, misplaced, who knows).  So knowing that the process is underway is a huge relief on my part.  Don't want to be flushing for females out of a cow that is a defect carrier, and now that I know we will have the results before I need to breed the cow, I can make a more intelligent decision.  For clarification, What does SEK have to do with the dissemination of the information?  i understood that they were involved with the AI stud bulls, but we were directed to them for information on the cow in question as well.
Thanks
Chap

Jill

It was my understanding that you had to request PHA results since the test had not been formally released they didn't release until you asked, is this how it still works or not?  Thanks

DL

Chap said:
Thanks, I did talk to Dr B.  He assured me that he had received the sample, which was my biggest concern, as the 1st was sent in early March and they couldn't find it (lost in mail, misplaced, who knows).  So knowing that the process is underway is a huge relief on my part.  Don't want to be flushing for females out of a cow that is a defect carrier, and now that I know we will have the results before I need to breed the cow, I can make a more intelligent decision.  For clarification, What does SEK have to do with the dissemination of the information?  i understood that they were involved with the AI stud bulls, but we were directed to them for information on the cow in question as well.
Thanks
Chap

Dr B or Barrel Racer may want to add to this but basically there are 2 people who run all the tests and do all the work connected with those tests. One of them is a faculty member and has (therefore) other responsibilities - although there was (is) a well oiled machine to run the tests the dissemination of results was sometimes not as rapid as some would like, hence the connection/collaboration with SEK to provide results in a timely fashion. The PHA  test to my knkowledge has not yet been licenced so you do need to call for results -and there will be no "formal/official" paperwork. There will be official TH paperwork. That is all I know.

So Chap - if the cow is a carrier you are not going to flush her?did I understand you correctly? and if she isn't who will you flush her to? (just nosey - we are like that here)  :D DL

Chap

If the Draft Pick cow in question is negative we will try to propagate her genetics and breed her to produce replacement females for the herd.  Since she has been flushed successfully to Sunseeker (17 frozen)already and is being set up to flush again, we will go ahead with the flush,  and use another "terminal" sire.  Our thoughts on the flush, if clean, are to  use Friction.  Have heard good reports on his daughters, Flush lines seem to work on Draft Pick and I just can't seem to think of another PHA and TH clean clubby sire that would sire useable females and also give you the opportunity to sell a market animal.  Any thots?

Jill

Chap said:
If the Draft Pick cow in question is negative we will try to propagate her genetics and breed her to produce replacement females for the herd.  Since she has been flushed successfully to Sunseeker (17 frozen)already and is being set up to flush again, we will go ahead with the flush,  and use another "terminal" sire.  Our thoughts on the flush, if clean, are to  use Friction.  Have heard good reports on his daughters, Flush lines seem to work on Draft Pick and I just can't seem to think of another PHA and TH clean clubby sire that would sire useable females and also give you the opportunity to sell a market animal.  Any thots?
If your looking for replacement females, Money Man might even work on her.  I really like the Dr. Who's, I don't think he has near the power to be considered clubby, most of the Hannibals I have seen have issues, don't know anything about Alias.  Hard Core might be an option, we showed one last year that would have made an awesome steer, but I don't think there is any track record on the female side yet.  Or I guess you could try Foreplay, he sires beautiful eyes! ;)  Not alot of options out that will throw both marketable steers and replacement females out of the same flush.

Chap

Alias is an intriguing option, although I have not heard anything about his females.  Hannibal was an early thought, but I think he might make them a little too big and stringy for todays market on this cow.  the cow is a 10 yr old direct daughter of draft pick on a Black Irish Kansas (simmi) x Angus .  She is a "ground sow", deep, wide and cool.  Huge foot and bone.  Her "needs" for club calf production would be longer, leaner neck and more hair.  She is not a small cow, moderate in frame for my herd, but weighs about 1800 lbs in good rig.  Our  % Maine choice has been Open Bar.  really liked the calves I've seen out of him and he appears to be making them a little "softer" than the Money Man's.  Whatcha think about that?

Jill

Just pulled up Open Bar, he actually looks pretty good, I have great respect for both Ohlrichs and Bremers don't know the 3rd one, but the 1st 2 are in it for the long haul and that is usually a good sign.  By the description on your cow, she should works with about anything, we have never been able to use Friction, our cows just don't have enough depth for him, but it sound like you should be OK there.  I personally would have to agree that Open Bar should be a good option, Impact usually makes them pretty, I guess that would be my choice, it them gives you the option of showing clubby or purebred Maine, we like to keep our options open.  Good luck to you.