Hay/Alfalfa

Help Support Steer Planet:

thoaus

we just finally got our first cutting of alfalfa and hay-alfalfa mix pastures bailed.  We haven't gotten near as much rain up here in southern minn as iowa.      what is hay and alfalfa bringing right now where your from?  I'm guessing there are going to be a few fields underwater for awhile elsewhere.

shortyjock89

This spring, before anyone started baling, grass hay was about $7/Square bale.  I'm not exactly sure what it's going for now, or what alfalfa is, but it's pretty expensive.  I'm in central Illinois.

Reinken Cattle Co.

In central Iowa we are waiting to get our first cutting out hopefully this week! everything up on hills looks great! but will lose alot of leaves...the low feilds flooded out...square bales were selling for over 6 dollars.

cook beef

we just got done round baleing 3 feilds 2 days ago <cowboy> (cow) <cowboy>

BCCC

alfalfa
small squares- 8 bucks
1 ton round bales- 140 a ton

Grass
We dont bale grass around here :'(

kanshow

BCCC - is that high end dairy/goat/horse quality on the small squares?  We are getting ready to price ours now.  Due to the weather, our first cutting mostly went into bags but did put up some in sm. squares for a neighbor. 

Our second cutting will go down this week - was ready to be cut last week but the fields have been too wet to hold the swather up.  Hope we can get it worked in around the rains.    We got luck on our brome hay

Stihlpro

Here in WA you're lucky to touch Alfalfa for $235 a ton out of the field right now.

shortyjock89

Stihlpro said:
Here in WA you're lucky to touch Alfalfa for $235 a ton out of the field right now.

Oh my.  Sorry to hear that if you're buying hay, but I'm real happy for you if you get to sell it!

BCCC

kanshow said:
BCCC - is that high end dairy/goat/horse quality on the small squares?   We are getting ready to price ours now.   Due to the weather, our first cutting mostly went into bags but did put up some in sm. squares for a neighbor.   

Our second cutting will go down this week - was ready to be cut last week but the fields have been too wet to hold the swather up.   Hope we can get it worked in around the rains.    We got luck on our brome hay
That is for horse quality(thats the only reason we bale small squares)

kanshow

Thanks,  we have horse and dairy goat people that buy a lot of small squares from us - which is our big reason for putting it up that way. 

GRsimm

I know in Central Missouri most of the 1st cutting clover and alfalfa is still in. Were just doing grass hay this year going to cut fescue seed off then bale cause the nights have been so cool lately and  the undergrowth is just starting to come on. I have seen quite a few fields go down already but they are getting them wet since we have had rain every other day. Well the only other thing for our wet spring is well have some fall grass too since many of the crops have not got in as well or have gotten flooded out. Going to be an interesting year feeding livestock with high priced fuel feed and fertilizer. But hopefully we can all hang on through these tough times.

kanshow

It will be interesting to see what happens.  I would guess that with the high grain prices, there will be less feed/silage planted & some alfalfa ground will go back into row crop.  That would tend to drive feed prices up too. 

red

I really hate to post these. This is our 2nd cutting.
You always measure by the corgi method!

Red

Attachments

• 100_2045.jpg
    100_2045.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 100_2047.jpg
    100_2047.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 314

steermomintx

red said:
I really hate to post these. This is our 2nd cutting.
You always measure by the corgi method!

Red
Just wondering what kind of hay is that in the picture??

steermomintx

ATOZ said:
That is a beautiful field of alfalfa!!!
Well I guess you can tell I am from South Texas not much alfalfa down here!!  Not much of anything right now we are burning up. We did not even plant hay this year, it's to dry.  Thanks

thoaus

we just put up 1000 small squares for ourselves of the best hay/alfalfa pasture mixed we've ever had.  for you guys out west, anyone interested in having alfalfa or grass hay shipped out?  what would be the break even price to do that even?

red

we drilled rye into it earlier this spring. The rye will loosen the soil somewhat. We'll tear it up next year.

Red