Hay Prices in your area

Help Support Steer Planet:

GoWyo

Shady Lane said:
Lots of Hay here in southern Saskatchewan, I'm told it's worth $70/ton Canadian money.

If can find back hauls to the south on flatbeds that are bringing energy equipment north, shipping can be fairly reasonable.  Is there a Canadian load board?  What does it take to cross customs into the U.S. with hay?

showsteerdlux

GoWyo said:
Shady Lane said:
Lots of Hay here in southern Saskatchewan, I'm told it's worth $70/ton Canadian money.

If can find back hauls to the south on flatbeds that are bringing energy equipment north, shipping can be fairly reasonable.  Is there a Canadian load board?  What does it take to cross customs into the U.S. with hay?
It will have to be certified pest free as a minimum.

Shady Lane

Takes very little to cross the border with hay as far as paperwork goes. Lat year we sent 30,000+ bales out of my area to Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma etc.

You may need overwidth permits because the bales would be roughly 5'x6'

Usually average around 1,400lbs/bale.

jozer1662003

We live in Oklahoma and have prolly 100 bales of this years hay 5x4 bermuda and native grass for sale that is net wrapped......80 a bale. Let me know if anyone is interested. PM me.

C

cedarcurve

Anybody know of hay that might be for sale in MO/ OK/ or Arkansas?

Will

cccf said:
Anybody know of hay that might be for sale in MO/ OK/ or Arkansas?
You will have a difficult time finding any hay in this area ( NE Oklahoma, SW Missouri and Arkansas) most guys sold all of thier excess last year do to the high prices.  We have been really dry and the hay crop has been terrible.  Your only hope might be some one who has run out of water and sold out.  My brother in law helps run a sale barn and they have been having huge runs of cattle the last couple weeks.  Mostly cows.  If it does not rain soon thier will be a lot more cows sold in this area.

heatherleblanc

Well my place is three hours from "town", and on a year like this for us, we are looking at about $100/ton including delivery.  But on other years when we don't have as much hay, we are looking at around $130.

nate53

ROAD WARRIOR

nate53 said:
Glenstory said:
“The DOT (Iowa Department of Transportation) has decimated the hay market in Eastern Iowa,”

http://thegazette.com/2012/07/19/dry-weather-leading-to-hay-shortage-higher-prices/
In the article they are recommending putting pressure on the feds to release CRP.  Why is there no pressure recommended on the DOT in Iowa to change or at least provide an exemption on their regulations?
Because the state of Iowa is broke and they have figured out that they can make big bucks off of farmers and ranchers trying to squeak out a living. Most of the DOT officers I have dealt with would fine their own mother for being 20lbs over weight or an inch over width. RW

turning grass into beef

ROAD WARRIOR said:
nate53 said:
Glenstory said:
“The DOT (Iowa Department of Transportation) has decimated the hay market in Eastern Iowa,”

http://thegazette.com/2012/07/19/dry-weather-leading-to-hay-shortage-higher-prices/
In the article they are recommending putting pressure on the feds to release CRP.  Why is there no pressure recommended on the DOT in Iowa to change or at least provide an exemption on their regulations?
Because the state of Iowa is broke and they have figured out that they can make big bucks off of farmers and ranchers trying to squeak out a living. Most of the DOT officers I have dealt with would fine their own mother for being 20lbs over weight or an inch over width. RW

Another example of why IOWA stands for I Otta Went Around

jchumley

I have 4x5 (1000 lb.) net wrapped rolls available in souteast Texas priced from $45-$65. It is all second cutting fertilized grass hay, bermuda and some bahia grass. We have been blessed with good moisture this year after the worst drought ever last year.