Hay

Help Support Steer Planet:

KDSC

OK there is a topic some where on this board, that talks about which hay is best to use on show cattle? can someone help me find it??

We normaly feed grass hay, but we cant get a hold of it very easily. Although some people have told me to use cane hay instead, i can get that very very easy. But i was wondering can you feed it free choice like you can grass hay??

Jill

I have heard that cane hay is the best you can feed, I know Conines fed it last year, we priced it through Barrows and just couldn't get it here cheap enough to make it affordable to feed.  You may try getting ahold of one of thost 2 families, I know that both have fed it.

AAOK

KDSC said:
OK there is a topic some where on this board, that talks about which hay is best to use on show cattle? can someone help me find it??

We normally feed grass hay, but we cant get a hold of it very easily. Although some people have told me to use cane hay instead, i can get that very very easy. But i was wondering can you feed it free choice like you can grass hay??

A balanced Show Ration is a complete feed, meaning there is no need to feed any additional roughage.  The amount of Hay necessary for rumen stimulation is 3 pounds per day, or less.  Re: http://dallas.tamu.edu/fitandshow/13343661-managingshowcattle.pdf

It really doesn't matter the type or quality of the hay.  Palatability could be a minor issue.

KDSC

I can get it for 60 bucks a ton and i only have to go over the hill to pick it up.  We were going to plant some of the sudan grass in our corners but it was too dry so we have 100 bags of sudan seed just sitting there :'(   

Wouldnt Corn stover(baled up corn stalks) be about the same??

We are Sunglo dealers under Kelly so we talk to him quiet a bit

red

if you use stalks or the hay is really dry or not the best quality, try adding some liquid molasses or a molasses product to it. It improves palatability & also increases feed value.

Red

Latest posts