Heading in the right direction?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ChristaCheatham

Like most people on this website, I want to raise show calves and sell them one day. We just bought some embryos out of Dixie Erica 258 x Jade's Dreamworks and some from Misss Anchor x WAGR Driver. They will be insemintated within a gew weeks. I really want to build a good simmental/angus herd and breed for percentage calves and potentially club calves to sell,not to keep in herd. Bought a nice heifer that is sound and will be a tremendous cow. She may not be you popping pastern steery heifer but shes one that will produce. Planning to AI her to i80 next sprjng. What do you all think of my ambitions? I am a senior in high school.

cowman 52

Don't get too wrapped up in the steer frame of mind.  You will have heifer calves that need to go to pasture and raise calves,  those tight wound, stiff made hard breeding, no milking kinds will derail you in a heartbeat. Keep your eyes on 3years down the road,  not the next show.

ChristaCheatham

No definitely not. Im looking down the road. Breeding cattle is a long process if u do it right

Clubby24

Like your direction. For your angus influence I would recommend any of the OCC bulls. You probably know this but just in case, make sure you talk to your embryologist before he puts your eggs in. It's not as simple as just standard insemination.

ChristaCheatham

Ok ya we did. The embryologist is a veterinarian and a company out of illinois goes out west and purchases receipts. They do many every year. Their success rate is about 60 to 66%.

jbzdad

sounds good to me... I think you will be happiest keeping and producing heifers that YOU like... then search for customers that like the same kind...
more fun than trying to produce what someone else might like ...that could change but what YOU like should be more obvious to you  ... you will really need to decide what kind of female you like ... that is the fun of it

on another note... just to help us old guys keep up and understand... embryos are implanted... Thanks

ChristaCheatham

Oh ok yeah sorry about that. New to this whole embryo thing. Hoping the calves tjat are produced will be nice receipts and possibly a nice herd bull. 2 of the embryos are sexed females.

bryan6807

Like the Embryo matings. I would say you are on the right track with the simangus eggs. The club calf thing is risky. We leased Jades Dreamworks this past summer and WOW!!! What a Bull!!! We have 2 bred to him and have high expectations.

ChristaCheatham

Thanks! And have you had any calves out of him? When you do let me know! I really just want to build a high quality herd of commercial cattle so that i can breed them to whoever i want and get quality calves to sell. I want a herd of cows that do not miss. Really tough order, but hopefully will get it done over time.