Health insurance

Help Support Steer Planet:

CJC

Insurance is getting more and more screwed up each year. You pay a arm and a leg for it an get less benefits with it. 

Will

chambero said:
This issue is so complicated and is in my opinion probably the biggest anchor hanging around this country's neck.

I suspect our real problem is that our health care system is half private and half government controlled (medicare and whatever other programs are out there).  We'd probably be better off going one way or the other.

I generally think most insurance companies are pretty much evil.  They all look for any reason in the world to cancel you. 

My wife and I have very good health insurance (expensive, but good with very low deductibles) from our employers.  However, my mom is a self-employed widow and couldn't afford to keep hers a couple of years ago.  She is coming eligible for medicare this fall thank goodness.

The doctors aren't the ones making most of the profit.  Its the insurance companies and the paper pushers.  If we can't get rid of the bureaucracy and the lawsuits that make insurance companies more money through malpractice premiums, we might as well have Medicare for everyone and be done with it.  There are ways it could be done.
Be sure and have your mom purchase a medicare supplement within 60 days of turning 65.  If she does this the companies cannot underwrite her policy, turn her down or rate up her policy.  Their are lots of supplements available and most are very comparible one companies plan F is going to be the same as another companies plan F.  Just have her find a plan she is comfortable with that will cover her potential persciptions.

Latest posts