Heartbroke

Help Support Steer Planet:

cornbread

Got our first ai calf ever this morning, could not wait to see this calf, bred cow in nov found out about th & pha in dec, well guess what?  TH calf

red

Oh no Cornbred! We had one last year. Hate for that to happen to anyone.
What were the genetics on both?
Really sorry.

Red

red

The cow must have TH is her bloodlines somewhere. WMW is clean.
Did you think it might be a problem before? Are any others similarly bred?
You now she is a carrier. Best suggestion if you want to keep her is to test all her calves after this. Use only clean bulls on her too.
Hope the cow is OK?

Red

cornbread

actually we didn't think it would turn out like this knowing wmw was clean. Dont know anything about cows dam  This was the only cow we used a carrier on.

red

the marbles weren't in your favor. I guess that answers the question on whether to test your cows if you're not sure of their bloodlines.

Red

NHR

This happend to us a couple years ago with 2 TH defective calves born in one week. Those cows are gone from my herd. Yes I know I could have bred to TH free bulls and been okay but I want my herd totally clean of this mess.

Doc

cornbread said:
       Got our first ai calf ever this morning, could not wait to see this calf, bred cow in nov found out about th & pha in dec, well guess what?  TH calf

Cornbread, Hate that you lost a calf, especially one that was your first venture into a new avenue. My only concern is do you know for sure it is a TH calf. There are defective calves born everyday & there have been numerous calves that have been misdiagnosed as TH even by vets. I'm not trying to armchair quarterback from miles away, just wanting people to make sure before they say it's a TH or PHA calf when it could possibly be a different defect, even enviromentally induced. But what the heck do I know. ???

cornbread

hey, Doc thanks for your input,I'm only about say 98% sure, it looks like all the pictures I've seen of th calves. I took pictures of it, not for sure if I know how to put them on here,but I will sure try if anyone wants to see them.

Show Heifer

I offer my heart felt sympathies....it is darn disappointing when you look forward for something and then a wreck happens....this is the exact reason EVERYONE should test, and EVERYONE should be honest in reporting the results.
Wish you better luck next year.

DL

Cornbred - so sorry about your calf - it is a bad deal and when it hits home it hits hard. If you have reason to beieve it is not TH you can submit a sample from the calf to confirm it, and although there is a possibility that it isn't a TH calf - but when it walks like a duck and talks like a duck and looks like a duck - probably is a duck.

You situation brings up something that I have found to be very common and maybe we can spread a little education here and maybe one person can learn from your misfortune - just because the sire of the dam is clean does not mean the cow is clean - in fact when we were looking at the Hartman sale catalog last year (and all those heifers were tested) people couldn't understand why  or how a heifer could be a carrier when her sire and her maternal grand sire were clean - dam was a crossbred - can forget that there is equal contribution or both good and bad genes by both parents :(

Again, sorry for you misfortune - 

red

Cornbread- hope you don't mind. I'll post the pictures you sent me for you.

Red

Attachments

• lastscan.jpg
    lastscan.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 276
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 275

DL

cornbred - from the pictures I do not see an umbilical hernia - did the calf have one? It is a pretty classic finding. Also did it have a meningocele (that would be a hole on the top of its head with coverings of the brain coming out)..in this picture you can see what I mean by hernia..ps sorry this picture is maybe big - new computer don't have all the software loaded - red please shrink if it need it - TX.

Attachments

• TH5.jpg
    TH5.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 260

red

DL- is it too late to send an ear in to the lab? Are they still taking ear samples?
If not TH then what other birth defects mimic it?

Red

garybob

Show Heifer said:
I offer my heart felt sympathies....it is darn disappointing when you look forward for something and then a wreck happens....this is the exact reason EVERYONE should test, and EVERYONE should be honest in reporting the results.
Wish you better luck next year.
No, this is the exact reason carriers should become burgers.

DL

red said:
DL- is it too late to send an ear in to the lab? Are they still taking ear samples?
If not TH then what other birth defects mimic it?

Red

No it is not too late to send an ear...if you decide to do it let me know..
....cornbred - where are you? any chance you can take/send the calf to a diagnositc center ---pm me...

Show Heifer

garybob - I couldn't agree more for MY herd....but I'll let everyone's concious (Ok, I can't spell and spell check takes too long!!) guide their own decisions!!!

Barrel Racer

Cornbread,
Sorry to hear about your calf!  DL sent me an e-mail so I came over to look at your pictures.  I'd say right now it's probably not a TH calf.  The tell-tale sign is by far the lack of abdominal hernia.  I think she said you had an ear on the way for us to test to be sure, and that's absolutely fine.  So the reason I'm pretty sure it's not a TH calf (I could be wrong, have been before  ;D)  is this.  I have pictures and/or samples on 3 or 4 other calves that look identical to your calf.  They are all black with twisted up ankles, again same phenotype as yours  We got one when we were working on TH, got the rest when we were doing PHA.  I've tested them for both and they were 100% negative for the Improver mutation (the Outcast mutation wipes out so much DNA that it is more than likely an embryonic lethal).  They were all negative for PHA as well.  Whether this is genetic I don't know, we just don't have enough calves and breeding info to make that conclusion yet.  I'm guessing that more than a few times they have been mistaken for TH calves.  I'll try to help as much as I can, you can also talk with Dr. B as well.  I'd probably e-mail him, as he's on two phones almost all day long. 

red

wow, that's all we need. Another potential defect to watch out for.
Barrel Racer- any bloodlines these calves had in common?

Red