heat and hair dont go

Help Support Steer Planet:

i currently have a Jake's proud jazz steer and when i got him in Feb he had tons and tons of hair where i live it is now going to be 100-110 degrees until my show in October and hes starting to loose his hair i was wondering if there are any tips anyone knows of to grow back some of his hair and to keep what is left?
currently hes getting rinsed once a day and washed with a foamer with the vita vitamin shampoo and i brush his hair with a rice root brush then a scotch comb and I'm working on getting a fan put in his pen and he does have a cover over his pen!

any help would be much appreciated :)

Jdog

Rinse him before the sun comes up in the morning dry out put in front of fan. rinse around noon if its really hot out let the fans dry him out come back in an hour to get what the fan missed then leave under fan until dark then rinse one last time dry out and put sheen or double dip in then let him outside. That's what I do and seems to work. Brush brush and brush some more.

cowman 52

Grew up where it's hot all the time.  Learned to rinse late and turn out wet, the cool of being wet is better than being dry and hot.  Had runs with a few trees,  put a lawn sprinkler in the top of the tree and let it run for a while.  You can figure out it will dry out during the heat of the day.  A little sand under the tree will help. 

Steve123

Use tarps to try and close in the covered pen as much as possible. Then add a mist fogger to the fan that runs during the day.  Wet the bedding down as much as possible in the morning after doing the clean up and that will help a lot (cedar fiber).  You may not get that Feb. hair back but you will have plenty to work with by show day.

Bradenh

All above are great ideas

We follow Steve123's philosophy for the most part in our barn

My suggestion is quit using shampoo- everyone's going to pitch and and chime in but we only use conditioner at home- 3 times a week... May shampoo if it's absolutely needed but I don't believe shampoo is good for their hair unless it is "dirty" regardless of what the bottle says. I feel like it pulls the oils out

Will

Just keep brushing and keep the skin and hair coat healthy.  Keep him as cool as possible so he will continue to eat and perform.  When the days shorten in September he will start to grow hair again. 

DLD

If he's still shedding, you need to get that old dead hair out.  Pick up a shedding comb and use it daily, 'til the dead hair is all gone.  Like the others have said, keep rinsing and brushing and keep him in the coolest, darkest place you can.

I'm with show stopper 95 on the soap - you sure don't need it every day, once a week max if you just feel like you have to.  Use conditioner or something like revive a couple times a week, use show sheen and vinegar daily, you'll end up with healthier skin and hair.

CAB

I'll just add that if possible try to get an idea of what type of hair your projects have had the previous July. That will tell you more about what the possibilities are that the project will be able to have hair the next summer.