Heat and recip ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

So we had a few cows that either hadn't had, or showed a heat and we are getting to the point we wanted the bull out. So we gave a group a simple estrumate shot. All we did and a bonus cow showed good hot heats. That was on Thursday am and pm. So then on Sunday pm we put the bull out so he could get any that were aied. So tonight we are up there working and see the bull with a cow, go check it out and he is romancing one of the ones that showed a heat a few days ago. We were not real close but hubby thinks he bred her. What would you do now? Does she go to the ET center or get left and hope he did get her. I don't want her to go another whole cycle if he didn't really breed her. That getting to be a late calf again.

ploughshare

Trust the bull, he is keeping better tabs on the cows than you.  Prostaglandin works if a CL is present.  She very well could have had a ripe ovary and no CL when you gave the shot. I might think differently if this had been the second shot in a two shot protocol. If you have doubts, contact your ET vet.

Cowboy

Hey Frosty -- I see this type of thing a lot some times, especially when it's hot like this. She had a heat on Thursday you said, and most likely failed to ovulate (Not necessarily cystic yet, but is carrying a follicle) and the bull surely picked up on that. That cow would probably NOT be a good one to send over to Mark or Tom. Especially is he did breed her, with out a resync, you could always get twins (Bull and ET together). Probably made you more confused than ever -- but I'd just trust the bull and forget her for now.

Hope all is good over there, we are so dry -- I cring when ever a would be storm blows over with lightning, Mary Sue can surely relate to that. We had a fire last year, and it's worse here now than it was then. Scary times

Good luck -- Terry

frostback

I was hoping you would reply Cowboy. I thought about the twins that's why I am asking. Could Tom palpate a size difference in the CLs. A 7 day compared to a 4? I know he has mentioned a difference in a 7 and a 6 before and used some recips because the CL was smaller but it was a 6 day heat so it was still good.
We are dry here too that is why those pairs had to be moved with the rest and go in with the bull. Usually don't put recips with the bull until after but no other choice this year. They say the monsoon flow is starting maybe we will both get some rain out of that. Fingers crossed anyway.

Latest posts