Heat Detection

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainecattlemother

Okay everyone is going to think this is a stupid question but we have a heifer that always had a 20 day heat cycle for the first three cycles.  We bred her 23 days ago and watched very closely for signs of heat and saw none but this evening when we were rinsing she had a small amount of blood on her vulva.  Is this a bad sign or is it normal.  Our success rate with AI is not very good but we thought she was caught at just the right time for breeding.  Any comments appreciated.  Just a note we had about a 95 degree day today and very humid.

I-69cc

My AI guy told me you ll see that a couple of days after u breed and it just means they had a good heat and it doesnt determine stuck or not. I understand you problems ive been fitghin to get a heifer bred as well. Goood luck

cowman 52

Going to bet she was now she's not.  Expect her in heat in 3wks, give or take.  Can draw blood and 3 bucks I think and know in 3 days.  Would wait 5/7 before drawing.

leanbeef

You'll sometimes see a little blood a few days after a heat, so I'm thinking she may have cycled and not shown much signs. Which wouldn't be unheard of this time of year, especially if weather there was very hot. And it makes sense that if she cycled on 20 days again, the blood would be there about 3 days later.

I just responded to a post about BioPRYN pregnancy testing, because I JUST did this to check some cows that were running with a bull that got hurt. You can go to this link: http://www.biotracking.com/?q=labs and check out the information. If she's 28 days or more bred, you can find out for $2.50 plus postage...all you need is a blood sample in a red topped tube you can get from your vet. You'll know one way or the other in a few days.

My 2nd best advice is turn her out with a bull and let him take care of business if there's business to take care of. You're better off with a clean up calf than an open cow. There's always next year!

Good luck!