heat wave females

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

ok.  i haven't gone to the dark side, but for a friend,  what would you breed 2nd calf heat wave females too?

they were from burke's sale last november.  one is solid red, the other, black and white.  they are smallish, to me at least, they need a little more frame and some volume and depth.  top line and necks are good, so is length.

TH status is unknown, as far as i can tell, the status wasn't listed in the catalog.

they have almost no milk, teats look good, and feed is plenty, as is the capability to creep feed calf manna.

PLKR

;D ;D Holstein ;D ;D  Will add milk and growth, and no ( apparent ) concern about TH....  Sorry, I knew you could handle a joke, knabe. <beer>

Cowboy

Hey Mark -- if they actually survived the first calving bred to the local Watusi -- I'd step up a notch and go with a good Low Line. He'd help them I am sure. If none available, then just use a Wagyu -- reason being, that calf would not need more than 8 ounces of milk per day -- and would only have to wean at about 250 or so to top the scale.

Hope I didn't offend any one here, just going from my own past experience -- mine actually did milk very well, but that was all she did good. Sale barn loved her though, topped the sale that day at 58/hundred.

All kidding aside, I think the real bottom line here on MOST of these Heat Wave cows is just getting a calf, the maternal will never be fixed for generations unfortunately!

Best of luck pard -- Terry

cowman

Sale barn price is real good right now, might be the most money he never lost to just dump them.

cotullaguy

cowman said:
Sale barn price is real good right now, might be the most money he never lost to just dump them.

pm me when you get ready to dump your next group....

DakotaCow

Hooks Shear Force. Shouldnt have a problem calving and he will add milk, unfortunately it wont do much for frame size.

lowann

We had a Heatwave 1 cow that had a heifer calf out of Artic Ice on Easter Sunday. Thick, hairy.
This cow has plenty of milk. I think she will get bred to him again for 2011.

jallen

I had a Heatwave x angus she was bred to a maine clean up bull. The calf is fine and she seems to have penty of milk and didnt help her at all one having it.

JWW

i have a heatwave X simmy cow.... the simmy cow she is out of is sire by Black Irish Kansas.... so some of the maternal components of the cow are there. the heat wave cow is kinda moderate, and could look a little better in terms depth of body  (compared to the sim/angus 1/2 bloods ),  since i like the simmys,  have been breeding her to PB simmys, the last two calves have been weaned at 700 pounds for a dream on heifer, and a 680# Macho steer. the simmi calves out of the heatwave cow have been definitely some of the best calves i have raised. they have the functional phenotype of the simmis (rib shape, bone, body structure)  that i like plus the balance, hair, and style of the clubby in them. makes for a good combination.

JWW

WFCC

if they are just going to be calving for the first time i would use angus.  if the second calf i would use alias or hairy bear

fed_champions

try lifeline, his added growth and extension, should compliment the Heat wave liabilty to be  deep sided and slow growing

herefordfootball

Like Cotullaguy and WFCC said Alias, but that would be my second choice. I've seen Dr. Who working really well on Heat Wave daughters, and probaly wont give you a huge bw. Might add some milk too, if its a heifer calf.

OH Breeder

I am not sure if you gave this one a thought. Calberta Black Impact would add style , length of body, size and his milk is adequate. He has made some great females and can still with the Heat wave component sire a nice show steer.