HEAT WAVE??? regersting calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Steer Boy 101

Alright i have seen in some mags. that he is a reg. chi and mainetainer? now if i bred him to a crossbred would i be able to reg. them calves as mains or chi?

farmboy

steer boy

the chi registry is so pointless... you can register anything from a registered sire/non registered dam or vice versa

but it has its perks, if you get chi papers, at big shows ive seen crossbreed classes go up to 15 head, the chi class had 3 head.

bcosu

what i never get is how people show heatwaves as maines. the maine's website says steers need to be 1/4 maine and out of a registered maine bull of at least 50% maine.
this shouldn't work but it happens all the time.

Jill

A Heat Wave sired Maine calf can only be a heifer, it can't be registered as a bull or steer and after the 1st of the year from what I understand in the new Genetic Defect policy a Heat Wave can not be registered as a Maine because he is TH.

farmboy

i think i messed up my math....  :(

in the neighborhood of 60%

14.98 % angus

14.84 % maine

6.89 % chi

and what ever the 1/16th of the shorthorn cow is

DLD

cbcfarms said:
what i never get is how people show heatwaves as maines. the maine's website says steers need to be 1/4 maine and out of a registered maine bull of at least 50% maine.
this shouldn't work but it happens all the time.

Those rules apply to AMAA sponsored steer shows, which would be the junior national and possibly the junior regionals (or do they even have those anymore?). Other shows may or may not choose to use the same rules - here in OK for instance, a steer could be sired by Heatwave (or anything else) and be out of a MA influenced cow and be perfectly eligible to show as a MA. As a matter of fact, Heatwave (or whoever) could sire a calf that can legitimately be shown as just about any breed, provided the calf classifies by appearance and gets whatever percentage that breed requires from the cow - even a Heatwave out of a registered Angus cow is eligible to show as an Angus (if he's solid black and polled). By the way, these rules are made by the state breed associations - these folks realize that in order to keep their breed competitive in the steer show (and keep their numbers up), they pretty much have to allow lower percentage steers to show.

I'm sure these rules vary all over the country, and I'm sure that they (especially the stricter ones) do get stretched and bent, but don't necessarily presume that someone's cheating because they advertise a champion Maine Anjou steer sired by Heatwave - it really can be legit.

OH Breeder

zach said:
heatwave is 1/4 'horn so

HW x 15/16 horn

15/32 +  8/32 =  23/32

71% horn about

ANy calf that is black can only registered up to 50% as a Shorthorn even if they are 7/8's. Maines that are black in SHorthorn book are also considered 50%. Hope for a red one or a roan.

shortdawg

I was just curious about the Heatwave side ? We will probably show him AOB. The SH + steers usually end up there down here anyway if they are black or blue - roan.

OH Breeder

shortdawg said:
I was just curious about the Heatwave side ? We will probably show him AOB. The SH + steers usually end up there down here anyway if they are black or blue - roan.
I understand the ASA rational, I have some blue roans and white blacks that are 3/4's this year but will only be 50% on the books.