Heatseeker cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

kane1598

I may have the oppurtunity to buy a four year old heatseeker cow who is awsome! She is marked like a hereford, is small framed and soggy and goose necked. She has had 2 really sweet calves, very stylish but just need to be  stouter.  I am looking for one TH free clubby bull to breed her to, one that may add a little more stoutness and keep some sort of cool color.  I was thinking chunkey monkey, hairy bear, alias, pale face, dr. who. Any suggestions?

showsteerdlux

I would probably stay away from pale face on her. I could be mistaken but I highly doubt that he would add much muscle to her. Of the bulls that you have mentioned for overall mass I would go with hairy bear but if your wanting to keep the color patterns I would go towards Alias. Has she been tested for TH/PHA? I would maybe even try Friction but I can't seem to remember his status. Dr. Who would probably do more to the front end than add muscle but i have seen some nice calves out of him lately. If you search back in the posts someone posted a pick of the mature Alias and he is flat awesome and packed full of muscle.

kane1598

She has not been tested, but she I am sure she is a carrier.  I think alias could work with her, and she is very sound, but am not willing to risk her prime years with a bunch of cripples.  Can alias sire sound calves the majority of the time?  I am skeptical, but have heard good things about chunkey monkey. I would like a smoke or a yellow calf, maybe yellow jacket or interstate? Any more opinions?

showsteerdlux

I haven't seen many Alias calves but from what i have heard they have been pretty sound. Haven't seen or heard anything about Interstate since denver last year.

OH Breeder

Heatseekers tend to work well with Who and his son's. If you want to add frame and extension try Hannibal and if you would like to add a freak front and length of neck do daddy himself-Who. You also might consider going the Simmi route. That seems to be popular at the moment and a safe route.

kane1598

I was leaning towards clubby, and she just needs allittle more shape and demension.  I would want one any more goosey up front.  I like get it done and have heard he is siring some awfully thick heavy structured calves.  Anyone think this could work?

shortyjock89

showsteerdlux said:
I haven't seen many Alias calves but from what i have heard they have been pretty sound. Haven't seen or heard anything about Interstate since denver last year.

No.  Alias will sire some calves that are absolute cripples off the front end.  I would suggest breeding Alias to PB Angus that are maybe a little flatter made, but extremely sound off both ends. 

If you have to go clubby, then may I suggest Sherwood's Red Vision?  A THF Double Vision son, and out of a Trump cow.  I personally don't think that it would hurt to concentrate the Shorthorn in her pedigree.  Red Vision is a bull that I think can work in both the Purebred and Clubby circles. If you want a crossbred calf, then WMW is a good choice like OH B says.  I just find it hard to get consistency when you breed a clubby female to a clubby bull. 

showsteerdlux

My mistake on Alias. How about Perfect timing. He is negative on both TH and PHA if I'm not mistaken. he should give you an interesting color pattern and should keep the calf pretty sound if I'm not mistaken. SJ89 has a pic on here of a nice heifer out of PT if you want to reference.

kane1598

I already have some shorthorn influence I and am not looking for too much more.  How about yellow jacket?  I certainly think he has alot of thickness and I am a huge fan of the lifeline x hoodoo.  I also  like Dr. Who genetics and really think that Get It Done could fit the bill in terms of stoutning up and keeping a cool color.  Anyone have experience with yellow jacket or get it done calves on pretty fronted, soggy made, clubby type cows like my heatseeker?

showsteerdlux

From the get it dones that i have seen most are pretty fronted and thick. Don't know what they'll end up like on structure since his first calf crop was this spring. I don't know if you wanting to have hair but if so I would use him before yellow jacket. I haven't really seen a yellow jacket yet with hair.

justme

I'd think again about the Pale Face on her.  My Heatseekers do great with Pale Face.  Hook swears by that cross.  I cann't argue it, we bought a bred Heatseeker from him and her calf by Pale Face is absolutly gorgeous!  We have her still and she's bred to Major's Money Man.  That cross should be exciting in my opinion.