Heatwave 1 calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

lowann

This calf, and his Granddam were humanly put down on November 24th,2008. The calf did pretty well until it got cold. I just couldn't put him through a tough Iowa winter. His Granddam had her age, and bad stifle joints going against her. As hard as this winter has been so far, I made the best decision for them. It was a tough day for us though. She was a top notch producer. She had a good calf every year. One of her calves was the Golden Child heifer pictured on SP. Thank goodness we did keep her as a replacement. Both the cow, and calf are buried together in a pasture they loved to be in.

SLOWJOE

IF YOU RAISES CLUB CALVES YOU WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE A SPASTIC CALF. JUST LIKE TH AND PHA ITS ALL PART OF THE GAME WE PLAY. YOU JUST HOPE THAT FOR EVERY CRIPPLE YOU WILL HAVE A CALF BRING GOOD ENOUGH MONEY TO COVER THE BOTH OF THEM.

lowann

Our cows have been tested for TH, and PHA. We try to be very careful about picking AI sires in the spring. Heatwave does throw this trait, according to our vet. This calf's mother has incredible calves every year. He was the only one of hers, so far, that had a genetic defect.
We do ok with our club calves as far as selling them. We have our own Ag related business, and I work full time. Our cattle have turned into a full time job/hobby, that we both  enjoy immensely. Some of the calves we have sold in the past have done pretty well in the show ring too. It's gratifying to see all the hard work we do pay off in the end.
Like one local cattleman told me "if you have livestock, you're going to have dead stock, it's all part of it."

OH Breeder

SLOWJOE said:
IF YOU RAISES CLUB CALVES YOU WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE A SPASTIC CALF. JUST LIKE TH AND PHA ITS ALL PART OF THE GAME WE PLAY. YOU JUST HOPE THAT FOR EVERY CRIPPLE YOU WILL HAVE A CALF BRING GOOD ENOUGH MONEY TO COVER THE BOTH OF THEM.

We do not play that game. TH/PH free stock and if not we breed for terminal or clean. I don't think it is ACCEPTABLE to have "cripples" as part of the "game". That says alot for the brood stock and the sires used. We knock on wood have not had any of the above and produced extremely marketable calves. Maybe it is just us. In my opinion.

SLOWJOE

THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR HEATWAVE NO BULL HAS EVER PRODUCED THE DOLLARS IN OFFSPRING THAT HEATWAVE HAS THE ONLY REPLACEMENT FOR HIM WOULD BE IF THEY FIGURE A WAY TO GO IN AND REMOVE THE POSITIVE DNA MARKER FROM A CLONE.

SLOWJOE

OH Breeder said:
SLOWJOE said:

We do not play that game. TH/PH free stock and if not we breed for terminal or clean. I don't think it is ACCEPTABLE to have "cripples" as part of the "game". That says alot for the brood stock and the sires used. We knock on wood have not had any of the above and produced extremely marketable calves. Maybe it is just us. In my opinion.
WHAT BUSINESS ARE YOU IN IF YOU RUN VERY MANY COWS CRIPPLES HAPPEN. THE ONLY PEOPLE I KNOW THAT DON'T HAVE CRIPPLES ARE ANGUS AND HEREFORD  BREEDERS

OH Breeder

SLOWJOE said:
OH Breeder said:
SLOWJOE said:

WHAT BUSINESS ARE YOU IN IF YOU RUN VERY MANY COWS CRIPPLES HAPPEN. THE ONLY PEOPLE I KNOW THAT DON'T HAVE CRIPPLES ARE ANGUS AND HEREFORD  BREEDERS

Unfortunately the flawed idea that you have to have throw aways to make it in this business is sad. I think there are quiet a few that might disagree with you on this one.

We run Shorthorns primarily with a few breeds  mixed in. I have used most popular sires that are on the market today. We have not had a "cripple" in our group. We plan very carefully becuase when you only calve a few it digs into your calf crop quick. One loss is big to us cripple or not. If you had looked in the for sale pages a few months ago you would see we had no cripples in our crop this year. 

justintime

I have to agree with OH Breeder on this one. I notion that a few throwaways in every calf crop is acceptable is a very very flawed notion. I can only assume that anyone who would say this, only raises cattle as a hobby, or does not have to pay the day to day bills. I think this entire concept of chasing the " great one" syndrome, is also very sad, and not even close to reality. I see so many people do this.

simtal

justintime said:
. I think this entire concept of chasing the " great one" syndrome, is also very sad, and not even close to reality. I see so many people do this.

The whole clubby business isn't even close to reality.  Ever see a traders "junk" pen?  You get paid to raise "great ones".  No trader buys a whole herd of "good, functional calves", they only want the best ones.  Raisin' show steers is like top fuel drag racing.  Call it game, a hobby, whatever you want by it makes lots of money for those who do it well.  And everybody tries to get a piece of the pie.

The only thing that is reality is producing beef.

Dusty

We've had this discussion before..

If you can raise enough high dollar ones to pay for the ones that don't make it it is good business.  Any clubby breeder that has been around for any length of time has had train wrecks.  Defect calves, cripples, dead cows, you name it. 

Thats why the good ones bring sooo much money.  It is not easy to raise one as thick as a truck, sound as a cat, and put together seamlessly.  And then you have to get the little 135 pounder out of the cow without killing him.  Not so easy.  I'm not saying I could do it over say 150 cows and make money, but I personally know people that do.  You can't do something for 20-30 years if you're not making money doing it.

Go look at club calves in the spring when they are only 1-2 months old and most breeders will have a cripple or two that gets shot. You don't see those on the fancy labor day sales.  A lot of people that have 40-50 head on a private treaty sale calved 75 100 cows that spring.  Where did the other 50 go?

knabe

I will bite. what or who is the replacement?

THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR HEATWAVE NO BULL HAS EVER PRODUCED THE DOLLARS IN OFFSPRING THAT HEATWAVE HAS THE ONLY REPLACEMENT FOR HIM WOULD BE IF THEY FIGURE A WAY TO GO IN AND REMOVE THE POSITIVE DNA MARKER FROM A CLONE.
[/quote]

the replacement is a different tine, not the same old spoon.

a criteria changer will come.

Dusty

There will be a replacement for HW.  I thought Sunseeker was going to be it, but so far he hasn't been able to overtake HW.  I wouldn't count Sunseeker out though.  If we bring the frames of these showsteers back up any I think Sunseeker will be the bull to use.  I guess until then we just have to wait and see if something comes along....

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I just read part of these 5 pages of posts an have noticed quite a few people wanting heat wave daughters for cows , an Ihave really seen some good looking ones , but this brought me to stop in my tracks an not ever think of doing that,  that cow could give you a lot of pain especially if you flushed her. 

knabe

one more reason to generate clones.

this would actually help us understand a lot of things by generating a lot of diversity in recips influence.

lowann

knabe said:
i guarantee a replacement for heatwave PHA, SP, MM, TH free.
Kent Habeger had a new bull he was going to take to Denver out of Heatwave this year. He told us at the Clay County Fair this past September he was very excited about this young bull. He was tested TH, and PHA clean. Nothing about SP, or MM.
I'm not sure if Kent's son Ryan will be taking over for Habeger Show Cattle since Kent's death, but I would think this new bull would be on the Habeger web site sometime soon.

tadpole

My brother at Iowa State heard from one of Ryan's buddies that Ryan and a kid that worked for Kent were going to be taking to bull to denver.  So I would think sometime in the near future you will be seeing more info on the bull.

lowann

tadpole said:
My brother at Iowa State heard from one of Ryan's buddies that Ryan and a kid that worked for Kent were going to be taking to bull to Denver.  So I would think sometime in the near future you will be seeing more info on the bull.
I am so glad to hear that Ryan is  taking this bull out to Denver.
Kent would be proud!!!

shortyjock89

Saw Ryan and crew getting the stall ready for tomorrow.

Kent IS proud, I'm sure.  Hopefully there won't be many clouds this weekend so Kent can see the Yards well  (angel)