Heatwave cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Downtown Pete

Just got to wondering.  What have people been breeding to thier Heatwave cows with success?

the angus111

this should open it up.i see alot of people using angus bulls.northern improvement,any of duffs,occ.juneau.i have to say i have a golden child heifer,the dam is a 734x bando.her udder is exceptional.with these clubby genetics i didnt know what to expect.this heifer has ample milk and teat placement and size is real good.kinda shot off subject there.rusty

CAB

I hate to even say this, but we have culled down to one Hate Wave sired cow and will not even consider bidding on any HW sired heifers/cows @ any sales. Bad odds of getting one that can milk. JMO.

Downtown Pete

I would agree finding a Heatwave cow that carries any good traits a person would like in a mother cow is comparable to the needle/haystack delima.  Have pulled little angus sired calves out of heatwaves that pull hard as heck. even cut a few out.  No room in the pelvis.  The fun thing is bottle feeding the calf after that because the cow doesn't produce enough milk.  There are enough heatwave cows out there now that people have gave a ton of money for I was just curious as to what people were breeding them to.  Against my better judgement I am thinking of keeping a few for cows.  Sure I'll regret it...

knabe

so, are the pelvis' outer dimensions smaller, or just the hole at the back to get out of?

i've notice heatwaves (both sexes) tend to have cube shaped pelvis' as opposed to a triangle.

if everyone knows this about heatwaves, both the calving difficulty and the milk, why should a heatwave female be placed high?

Cattledog

Try a lowline.  Can't make'em much smaller at birth than that.  Also, they may not require as much milk due to their size.  This would infuse some maternal quality into the offspring.  The thing I wonder about is the pelvic size of the lowline x heatwave females.  I haven't heard from TJ in a while on this forum but that would be the guy with the answers.  Also, if Dori would get on this post she may have some insight.  As the lowline breeders have pointed out, they have mature cows at 1400 pounds.  They can still have some size.  

If you would get a female that could be club calf producing machine!  This is just my effort of thinking outside the box.

Nasc

In Sullivans sale catalog they had most of their Heatwaves bred to Copyright.

CAB

Nasc said:
In Sullivans sale catalog they had most of their Heatwaves bred to Copyright.

Note: they are "selling" their HW heifers/cows bred to one of the current " HOT" calving ease bulls.
We've had some luck breeding HW 1st calf heifers to Red Angus,but as mentioned, I only have 1 direct HW cow on the place. If they milked well, I would have more, but they just take the milk out. If there is one bull and his clones that I think needs to have sexed semen on that is only male, it's HW. Now that would sell!!

Downtown Pete

I know a guy that flushed a nice heatwave cow to yellowjacket and had some dang good fall born steers as a result this year.  Haven't seen them, but heard they are real good. Believe they are yellow calves out of the solid black cow.  Hows yellowjacket bred anyway.

kfacres

It seems to be a common thing... narrow pelvic hw's....  Any normal person would think that with that much power, and ass in an animal, the pelvic would be wider.. I guess it might just be shape though of the actual bones.. not how much meat are on them....

But then again, thinking back.. my hog friends tell me that those gilts with big rear ends, are always having to had pigs pulled... they beleive big ended livestock will do that...  

Thoughts to ponder...

wrc

I have 2 Heatwave x Traveler 6807 cows.  They are flushmates but dont really resemble each other at all. Both cows milk adequate enough that their calves don't get behind the other calves their age,  one milks better than the other.  I pulled an OCC Legend out of one as a first calf, but have had no other calving difficulties since then and they have both had 3 calves to date.  One is bred to Alias for a spring calf and the other one I AI'ed to Dr Who last week.  We flushed the better one of the two to our Meyer 734 x 6807 bull when she was 3 and got 27 grade 1 embryos out of her.  Those calves have been very good with several exceptional heifers a couple good steers and 1 barn burner steer so far.  I hope that Knabe doesn't spell check this post as I am sure that I have mispelled a few words.

SKF

We have one Heatwave x Playray heifer and we bred her to our herd bull a Ali son. She had a 37 lb heifer calf. I worried that this calf would not grow because she looked like she did not have much milk but the calf has grown real well and you would never know she was that small at birth because she has caught up with the other calves. So I guess she had more milk then what it looks like. She has been a great mother my only complaint would be she is over protective. Of course thats probaly due to her nutty disposition. As a matter of fact she is a NUT case.  We are breeding her to Sin City this month so hopefully her next calf is bigger.

knabe

wrc said:
 I hope that Knabe doesn't spell check this post as I am sure that I have mispelled a few words.

the misspelling reference in the other post was for dissing the teacher and not understanding the process was for the student to learn, not for the teacher to hassle students by giving them research projects and not paying attention to them, not for misspelling.  you did misspell misspelled though.  misspell is one of the most frequently misspelled words though.

by the way, spell check on here works great.  all you have to do is look for the red underlines, find the correct spelling.  you do get massive points for correct capitalization.

orwell

wrc said:
  I hope that Knabe doesn't spell check this post as I am sure that I have mispelled a few words.
Looks like im not alone.  (thumbsup)

showsteerdlux

kfacres said:
It seems to be a common thing... narrow pelvic hw's....  Any normal person would think that with that much power, and ass in an animal, the pelvic would be wider.. I guess it might just be shape though of the actual bones.. not how much meat are on them....

But then again, thinking back.. my hog friends tell me that those gilts with big rear ends, are always having to had pigs pulled... they beleive big ended livestock will do that...  

Thoughts to ponder...
On the idea behind the hogs I'll also agree that the gilts with bigger buts will be the ones that have a harder time farrowing. On the commercial side we would cull the more terminal looking ones out and put them on the cull truck, also the bigger ended ones that required pulls were also usually the ones that ended up being culled in the end for not breeding back it seemed like.

CJC

knabe said:
wrc said:

the misspelling reference in the other post was for dissing the teacher and not understanding the process was for the student to learn, not for the teacher to hassle students by giving them research projects and not paying attention to them, not for misspelling.  you did misspell misspelled though.  misspell is one of the most frequently misspelled words though.

by the way, spell check on here works great.  all you have to do is look for the red underlines, find the correct spelling.  you do get massive points for correct capitalization.

Amen

JSchroeder

We've attempted to keep seven for replacements but they never made it through the summer down here without falling completely apart due to the heat (we have plenty of exotics that do just fine).  Despite their larger hind quaters they had noticeably smaller pelvices than other heifers when AI'd.

Downtown Pete

Just a thought.  Do the heatwave granddaughters seem to exhibit the same characteristics (problems) as a heatwave daughter or as you get further away from him do they seem to improve.  I know one post mentioned a golden child cow that was a really good cow. I would guess the wmw in the breeding probably helped out on the bull side. anyway, just a thought...

Jill

I have to agree with CAB, we have 1 Heat Wave right now and we'll see how she gets along, we have done 4 C-Sections in a row with no milk and they have all gone to the sale barn, I said I would never keep another one, but this one is from one of our most maternal cows, if she can't raise one that is it for us.  I love the calves, but have to agree, they should be terminal!