Heatwave daughters

Help Support Steer Planet:

orwell

We bred ours to rocky balboa, she lost her first calf and are keeping our fingers crossed for better luck.

CCW

some say butcher and that's probably not a bad idea for a majority of them.

If you're going to breed them then it seems Ali, Irish Whiskey, Northern Improvement and other bulls that can fancy them up and add consistency work best.

OH Breeder

Patti,

Are we talking heifers? If so, OCC LEgend and NOrthern Improvement are two good choices. Ali tends to follow the female. If the female is outstanding he will make a nice one.SS Traveler T510 6807 will give you alive one small and grow like a weed. Can't ever go wrong with Gizmo. I had the best luck with Gizmo on a clubby bred Direct Hit daughter. Really made for nice balance. If you bred Heat Wave to good mooma cows shoulldn't be any trouble with milk etc.
Those would be my first choices.

Bradenh

i think the freezer is the best place for them. as for a bull if you have enough money to keep the hw around. .. yellow jacket all day

DCC show cattle

I have yet to see a yellow jacket I would have fed or put in the barn not a fan of his calves at all. I know he has his place just not among my cows, but I would agree that ali has clicked best for us on the heatwaves but i dont know if i would breed him on a heatwave heifer due to birthweights all our alis have been small but if it doesnt work that way i would hate to get someone in calving trouble. We have also had great luck with legend on alias type females so i dont see why he wouldnt work on a heatwave and they have all been really good cows. JMO.

OH Breeder

Show stopper 95 said:
i think the freezer is the best place for them. as for a bull if you have enough money to keep the hw around. .. yellow jacket all day

I haven't had any problems with Heat Seeker/Heat Wave genetics. To each their own. If the cow/ heifer had small pelvis and was unable to carry and take care of a calf then i say freezer. But as with any genetics some work for some people some of the time but may not work for everyone all the time.

rackranch

I'm just a shower not a breeder but her is a picture of a yellow jacket x heatwave slicked of and at 12 mnths and 1000lbs...BTW he had great hair...

Attachments

• stinger 12mnths 1000lbs.jpg
    stinger 12mnths 1000lbs.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 274

jallen

I have had good success with hw daughters. jakes proud jazz worked good along with the ones everyone else mention. But for all of you that say freezer how many of you have had one and if you dont think there going to be cows why do you spend the money on them in the first place or breed your cows to him?

bcosu

try something purebred angus for the first one. The heatwave females tend to have decent calves when bred to something like a purebred. ali works fairly well. the heatwaves start getting real crossed up so throwing some high percent something adds a little consistency.

herfluvr

Patti said:
What sire(s) work best on heatwave daughters ?  Thanks.

We have had a northern improvement steer out of ours and was a nice steer.  We now have a heifer calf out os  a purebred herf cleanup bull we are keeping to show. She is sound, correct, wicked fronted, carries a thickness but still looks feminine and is very good natured.  All the things we look for in a keeper.  She was a late calf but is shooting up.  I would say whatever you choose to go purebred.  As for the heatwave cow, she was out of a Who Made Who dam by heatwave.  She throws great hair, she is a good milker and a good mama so maybe she isn't the norm but we are having success with her.

CFC

I think there is a lot of good advice here.  Namely those who say use calving ease Angus bulls on these heifers.  They might not have a shot to make homerun steers, but you do have a chance to raise a sellable/showable calf.  In my own personal opinion you are going at it backwards.  I know you may not have a choice.  The reality is that in the clubby business, you need to be using clean stout maternal cows so that you can use heatwave on your cows.  Heatwave is easiliy the greatest steermaker on the planet.  My experience is that keeping heatwaves is asking for some calving tragedies.  I have found many of the heatwaves and heatseekers hard to artificially breed for lack of pelvic room.  If you throw that into the fact that many heatwave related calves will be over one hundred pounds you are going to have some heartaches. 

VJ

About 6 yrs ago I bought some cheap Who Made Who semen. I hopped on the old Showsteers forum and asked about keeping WMW daughters. The overwhelming response was they are crippled wrecks and to send them all to town. The next year Lautner started promoting a couple bulls out of WMW cows and now they are the greatest thing going for clubby cows. Interesting huh?

olsun

A sound Who cow is often a good cow. And Who still sires cripples just as a good milking Heat Wave is often a good cow. That doesn't mean that Heat Waves are known as good milkers. The odds are not in your favor for sound Whos or good milking Heat Waves.JMO