Heatwave Females?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap34

Looking at buying Heatwave Meyer cross heifer bred to northern improvement.  What are your opinions on using heatwave daughters to produce club calves.  Thanks

vc

If you look into the archives you will see that most opinion will be very low on heat wave daughters as cows. You can flush them but asking them to calve can be disastrous.

TMBCATTLE

Just had to give my two cents worth. Yes they usually dont mother well but I have a heatwave out of an aftershock that is one of my best milkers, raises on of my biggest calves every year.

LostFarmer

Out of aftershock would be the key there.  He was maternal bred to the hilt, with Myer on the top and Mailman and Cunia on the bottom. 

herfluvr

Chap34 said:
Looking at buying Heatwave Meyer cross heifer bred to northern improvement.  What are your opinions on using heatwave daughters to produce club calves.  Thanks

Interesting.  That is the way we crossed a first time heatwave show heifer.  Had a Northern Improvement bull calf.  Calf carried her stoutness to the hip them had more of an Angus hindquarter and walked like an angus behind.  Just a county calf.  Good mama.  Had him with a bit of trouble but she took to him and raised him well.  THis year she had -now don't laugh-the neatest heifer out of a herford bull.  Sound, clean fronted like her, stout and this time she carried her frame through on the calf.  Guess everyone can be so different.  We bred her back to a son of Emblazon.  Will see what we get.  

vc

I am sure there are some that make good cows, if your going to try and make cows out of them there definitely needs to be maternal on the bottom side and it is still a crap-shoot. If I was buying heifers just to make cows, I think I would look a different direction. JMO

CAB

TMBCATTLE said:
Just had to give my two cents worth. Yes they usually dont mother well but I have a heatwave out of an aftershock that is one of my best milkers, raises on of my biggest calves every year.

I think that most PPL have the one good HW cow that has the heavy milking dam. I have one, but honestly have sold three others that absolutely could not raise a calf without bottle help. We won't look @ a heifer that is out of HW or a HW son. That's how much milk he will, on average, take out of a potential cow IMHO. Like said, there are few exceptions.

Blackhawk

I have a dozen heat wave daughters in production of all shape, size, color, and age. My experience is if the heat wave daughter is out of a real maternally bred momma that is a good breeder, good milker, and sound footed, you should not have any problems. It seems like the ones that are more moderate, thicker, straighter lined, and more crossed up tend to give you the more inconsistent performers. I think this good be said about most clubby bulls designed to produce stout hairy big bone steers. They all have their place.

Dusty

A good rule of thumb.  If a heifer looks like a steer... She'll prolly be about as good a mom as a steer.....

Bradenh

Dusty said:
A good rule of thumb.  If a heifer looks like a steer... She'll prolly be about as good a mom as a steer.....
great advice lol tho this cant b said for a steer that looks like a heifer  (lol)

jallen

Blackhawk said:
I have a dozen heat wave daughters in production of all shape, size, color, and age. My experience is if the heat wave daughter is out of a real maternally bred momma that is a good breeder, good milker, and sound footed, you should not have any problems. It seems like the ones that are more moderate, thicker, straighter lined, and more crossed up tend to give you the more inconsistent performers. I think this good be said about most clubby bulls designed to produce stout hairy big bone steers. They all have their place.

Hate to pick on you but. What you said is why so many people don't  like heatwave moms they are straighter and thicker. That is because not nearly enough people use him on maternal cows they use him on crossed up cattle to get them great shows steers.

DakotaCow

I realize this is taking the thread a different turn but has anyone ever bred a dairy cow to heatwave? I have heard the expression that HW can take the milk right out of a holstein.  (lol)

CAB

DakotaCow said:
I realize this is taking the thread a different turn but has anyone ever bred a dairy cow to heatwave? I have heard the expression that HW can take the milk right out of a holstein.  (lol)
I'll about bet that he would on 3/4s of em!!

aandtcattle

Dunno what kind of mommas or milkers they make, dont have any experience with that but the 2 HW daughters that i have flushed put 22 and 27 #1s in the tank!