heifer appetite

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAMyers

I have a heifer born april first 14 who is not eating/growing like she should. I am feeding Roe heifer feed with good hay and the three other heifers are growing good on it but her appetite is not there. Some days she just does not eat. In January at weigh ins she was only at 775 and she was the lightest of the group. Anybody else having this problem or have any suggestions on how to increase her appetite to help her grow faster?

PinkOil Princess

775 is not a bad weight on an April 14 calf. Then again we don't know her frame size. For future reference I wouldn't let being the lightest heifer of a "group" discourage you. I know plenty of light heifers that have beat a lot of heavy hitters.

As for the appetite issue I would look towards some sure champ products. I have an April 14 heifer on feed right now she's eating 14 pounds a day of Rival Base show feed which contains sure champ and if she gets in a situation where I feel she's stressed out or not eating as normal Ill give her a little pro biotics or sure champ vita charge paste and things are back to normal

Auburnviewfarms

Stand alone seemed to work for us last year we will be using it again this year. Helps with hair coat also.