Heifer calves anyone??

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakbar

I got so many responses on the bull calves I posted that I thought I'd share a couple snapshots of some of our heifer calves, too.

Attachments

• Who Made Who 5-5-08.JPG
    Who Made Who 5-5-08.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 542
  • Blue Blood & Sully heifers 5-5-08.JPG
    Blue Blood & Sully heifers 5-5-08.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 562

red

all I can say Oakbar is WOW! For an Iowaian they are awesome.  ;) Note the wink, it is meant as a joke.

Red

oakbar

The white heifer is a Blue Blood out of our Eskimo Joe show heifer.  She's really an eye catcher but, as I just said in a PM to Dusty,  she's got some major structural problems with her back legs.  She is extremely straight in the hock and the stifle joint on the one leg was so spread out when she was born that you could lay your finger right between the bones.  Really dissapointing to get one that good and then have a major leg problem.

The Who Made Who is a really complete looking heifer that just gets better every day.  I don't quite know where all the chrome came from--her mother is a solid black clubby cow we have that only has white on her udder.  She's going to be really good for someone.

The wild colored heifer is a little more feminine than the other two but I think long term she'll make the best cow.  Her mother is our old Calberta Paydirt cow and she's the first calf out of our bull SULL-GNCC KC Chiefs Pride(Sully).  Sully is a Trump son out of Augusta Pride 330H.  So far there are 4 calves on the ground out of him and they're all heifers.  I'm expecting our last two calves this week(both out of Sully) and I'm hoping his streak continues.

Thanks for all the positive feedback--We're small in numbers but I'm really pleased with the quality of our calves this year.

DiamondS

That WMW is pretty shiny.  Disappointing on the structure issues!!  Nice calves though!! (thumbsup)

rmbcows

I think this little girl would look good playing with your little girls!   ;D

Attachments

• hwxks.jpg
    hwxks.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 423

stumpy

Oakbar,
The calves look great. I love the WMW. Let me know how things go with the new white bull your using. ;) And thank-you very much (thumbsup)

oakbar

Thanks for the comments Stumpy and Shortdawg!!  Everyone else too I guess!!

I hope we can get the WMW heifer in someone's hands who will really campaign her.  I think she's going to be flat awesome.  We had a really good Dr Who steer out of her mother last year.  We won't be getting to  as many jackpot shows this year because of my daughter's extremely busy school, etc. schedule and my business travel schedule.  We are planning to try to get to more Shorthorn breed shows with the Tonic and Sonny bull calves, the Vortec heifer calf, and our Trump/Lovely Lady yearling heifer.  We may also show our Sin City calf as a SH Plus steer.  That's assuming of course that we don't sell them first--they are all for sale.  Well, maybe not the Trump yearling!!

We really get a kick out of raising them and then watching others(especiallly young people) do well with them!!  I counted up some calves & cows locally the other night and we could possibly have as many as 14-18 cattle at our local county fair this year that either came off our farm or are out of females purchased from us.  Some people won't sell locally so they don't get beat by their own calves, but we really enjoy seeing how they turn out and feel very proud even if someone who purchased a calf from us beats us in the ring.  Heck, its only one show and you can't feel bad if you raise a champion can you??