Heifer calving question

Help Support Steer Planet:

kreuzmanfarms

We have an immortal heifer that is bred to I-80. She was due 2-13 which makes her 6 days overdue. We are curious if anyone has had an I-80 calf that was born this late. She could not have been bred on her next cycle because she was not with the bull yet. The vet checked her due to I-80 in the fall. Also would inducing her be a good idea? Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

kreuzmanfarms

BS maybe u are right. Maybe we do need to relax and just stop worrying. However our heifers typically calf 5 to 10 days early. A heifer 6 days late is not typical for us and we fear that the calf will be too big and half to be cut out if we leave it go too long.

CAB

Please let us know how you get along with your heifer. We would all like to know if I-80 is going to be a true CE solution for those of us that have a touch or more clubbie bred into our herds. Good luck & Thanks in advance.

wyatt

should be an intresting calf and for some reason most heifers ive seen do tend to calve a fuzz earlier then expected

OH Breeder

No chance of bull coverage? If not you can always have her vet checked to make sure their aren't any issues. If he/she feels the calf is that large he/she can induce her.

ALTSIMMY 79

Heck its possibile your vet could be off on the due date too , they are human and humans have been known to make mistakes now and then ! Id let mother nature decide when the time is right.

Mueller Show Cattle

I agree with everyone's posts, let her ride it out. I have had heifers and cows go past due from gestation table with AI and the calf is no larger (some times smaller) than other calves. mother nature takes time, I would let her ride it out and watch her close, if she has problems calving, then call the vet in.

CAB

kreuzmanfarms said:
BS maybe u are right. Maybe we do need to relax and just stop worrying. However our heifers typically calf 5 to 10 days early. A heifer 6 days late is not typical for us and we fear that the calf will be too big and half to be cut out if we leave it go too long.
If you have to cut it out, cut the cow and not the calf. In other words, don't decide to late if you have to do any cutting.

kfacres

We've calved--- o maybe 1000 heifers in the last 10 years or so... and I can truthfully say-- not once have we cut a cow open to get her calf...  not once...  we've had hard pulls-- even had a 95#er come out of an 18 month old heifer-- but we've never cut one out. 

in every case, where I've felt like I needed to take control-- I've induced labor-- and in every case- it was exactly one cycle early--- and I've never saved a baby lamb or calf. 

We have cut open some ewes before- and a first timer goat-- but those were special circumstances, and it wasn't due to baby size- but a prolapse in every case I can remember.

nathan572

For me calving time is so stressful, I,m waiting on a cow right now that is at 294 days due to a Q-dog. I also have a heifer that is due to I-80 on the 25 I hope she doesn't  go over. On the other hand, I also had a maine-Angus that calved to a shorthorn bull at 270 days. I know that you start to panic when they are your own cattle that is why I like to hear other peoples opinion just to calm my nerves. Like my dad says the Apple don't fall from the tree till its ripe. How many day gestation are you figuring on?

kreuzmanfarms

We are figuring on a 283 gestation. If this were a cow i wouldn't be too concerned. When we rectally examined the heifer today the calf was mid forearm deep and felt pretty big. The heifer looks very pregnant but has a very small udder (often typical for heifers) but she did have milk. As I stated before the heifer couldn't have gotten pregnant on her next cycle because we didn't A.I. (she showed no signs of heat) and the bull was not with her. Therefore if this isn't an A.I. calf then it is a good 5 weeks from being due. If this is the case I am extremely concerned on the size of the calf. She will be at 290 days gestation tomorrow which still isn't too bad but is concerning on a heifer. We are going to have her vet checked tomorrow and go from there.

mainegirl

We had one bred to I-80 go 7 days past last spring.  Basically, if you feel concerned, then having the vet come and getting his/her opinion would be  the safe thing to do. I don't like taking too much of a risk when it comes to heifers. If they go over a week and nothing, then I want to know what's up. Good luck and post some pics when it comes!

wyatt

Cut the BS said:
We've calved--- o maybe 1000 heifers in the last 10 years or so... and I can truthfully say-- not once have we cut a cow open to get her calf...  not once...  we've had hard pulls-- even had a 95#er come out of an 18 month old heifer-- but we've never cut one out. 

in every case, where I've felt like I needed to take control-- I've induced labor-- and in every case- it was exactly one cycle early--- and I've never saved a baby lamb or calf. 

We have cut open some ewes before- and a first timer goat-- but those were special circumstances, and it wasn't due to baby size- but a prolapse in every case I can remember.
my first heifer experience was 110 lbs! talk about a scary hard pull

leanbeef

The more she goes over, the closer I would watch her. It doesn't necessarily mean the calf will be big or she'll need help, but I think the chances probably increase with time. I wouldn't induce her, though...I've seen that one time and it was a TRAIN WRECK. Watch her and try to be there...that's about all you can do.

Cowgirl94

My heifer had her I-80 calf 11 days early but she wasnt springing at all yet but when we went out there to check the cows the calf was dead and looked like it was a still born. Hell of calf though so it really sucked but the little heifer weighed 62 lbs. and was really really good!

wyatt

Cowgirl94 said:
My heifer had her I-80 calf 11 days early but she wasnt springing at all yet but when we went out there to check the cows the calf was dead and looked like it was a still born. Hell of calf though so it really sucked but the little heifer weighed 62 lbs. and was really really good!
the calf could have got steped on or something of the sort  :-\

Cowgirl94

true but it didnt look like it at all and there were no marks in the dirt where it looked like it might have moved but the heifer was a good momma a licked her clean and stayed with her the whole time!

shortii

So is everyone using him on heifers? Is anyone using him on mature cows? just curious