Heifer Escape Artist

Help Support Steer Planet:

HVNR

Looking for some suggestions on how to keep a heifer on halter ? She will rub it off the back of her ears before you get out of the barn. We learned quickly that she always needs a necktie.

red

(lol) don't you love those! We tied a knot up towards the ring. Some calves just require a neck tie. I usually always put one on just as a precaution.

Red

KCK

When I worked for a few limmy places, we had tons of show heifers that did this. We would take a nose lead and tie it to one side of the halter under their chins. Then the snap was utilized just that way. We would snap it to the other side when the halter was on them, but that left us with the ability to remove the halter. I have seen people use twine, but that is hard to knot and unknot at the end of the day.

Also, you can get those big fluggy things from Sullivan 's that is supposed to protect their ears. Might make it harder for her to rub it and roll it off back there.

Keep me posted!

kanshow

We have one of those...   She'll also lick and chew on the rope where it is tied.     To keep the halter on her head, we use a neck tie with one end thru the top of the halter.    We then tie the ropes one on each side so that she can't reach one or the other - kinda like cross tying a horse.   We also drop the loose end back thru the loop on the quick release knot.    Another thing we've found is that if the halter is a little bit old & weathered, she can't escape quite so fast.     

Jill

We had one of those last year, she was a pain in the neck, she could get that halter off within 30 seconds of tying her.  We tried everything, the tie out rope works, but you can't control the head that way, so we started just tying her where her chin was up against the bar and she couldn't move her head enough to get her ear under the bar.  Good luck

kanshow

We bought a bundle of halters from some vender  that are really really bad about not fitting good enough to stay on.    If we weren't such tight wads, we should throw the whole bunch out. 

fluffer

I would always loop the neck tie though the halter at shows to make sure they kept their halters on at night. 

Fluffer