Heifer has started to kick

Help Support Steer Planet:

Buck

I sold a heifer to a family last spring that we broke and clipped and she never raised a foot. I talked to them today and she has evidently become a kicker. They say she is real nervous about anyone being behind her. I told them to tie her and use a broom and to try to desensitize her to being touched on her rear legs.

Anyone have any fool proof method of curing this or can you add anything to the broom treatment?

knabe

Nothing is fullproof.

It's desensitization or positive reinforcement.

Sometimes someone or sometuing just did something and they don't like it.

It's why I always pick up their feet as soon as I can. That way I can also stretch them when they get stiff when they are fat.

cowboy_nyk

We have used a grain bag full of straw tied in the stall behind them.  Had one bull kick it to shreds before he tired out.  Worked every time that I tried it though.

SlickTxMaine

I've done the broom - set it on their hip and let them kick till they couldn't kick anymore.  I've also sprayed their back legs and feet with a water hose while they were tied.  I actually think the water worked the best because it is steady and they were never able to kick it away.  Just keep spraying till they stop kicking.  The next day, do it again, and continue until they don't kick at the water at all.  Usually does not take but a few days.