Heifer Head Butting

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ms Ray

My sons heifer decided about a week ago that she was going to start head butting us.  She is almost a year old now.  She used to kind of rub on you a little but now it is harder and more often.  I think she is trying to play, and am not sure how to stop it.  Any suggestions would be great
Thanks

knabe

Ms Ray said:
My sons heifer decided about a week ago that she was going to start head butting us.  She is almost a year old now.  She used to kind of rub on you a little but now it is harder and more often.  I think she is trying to play, and am not sure how to stop it.  Any suggestions would be great
Thanks

always remember what you said.  never let them start.  this is the cute lion cub syndrome.

watch what a cow does.  you can't out head butt them so you need to out smart them.  one way is with a small stick or screwdriver between you fingers and let them try to rub on you and let them poke themselves or something similar that is uncomfortable for them when they rub.  they have to associate the rubbing with a negative reinforcement that they do themselves.

when they like to rub, they just want some company or grooming so do that.

SFASUshowman

I caution people about their cute calves all the time. Its great for one to have the personality where they want to be around you all the time.  And you can love on them and make them gentle, but at the same time you have to make them understand that there are boundaries that they can not cross. You have to start this early in their life to.  I typically find it happens more often in those super gentle calves that are the only calf you have.  In this case the people working with them basically become their herd, and they just want to love on you and play.  But when they get bigger they dont realize they are so much bigger and that their playing is becoming dangerous to you.  The other problem with these calves that get so lovey and want to rub on you and push on you all the time is their performance in the show ring.  I typically find that they either push all the time making them hard to keep in line or they get really slouchy and sloppy in the ring instead of keeping that head up and looking like a show calf.

woltemathangus

SFASUshowman said:
I caution people about their cute calves all the time. Its great for one to have the personality where they want to be around you all the time.  And you can love on them and make them gentle, but at the same time you have to make them understand that there are boundaries that they can not cross. You have to start this early in their life to.  I typically find it happens more often in those super gentle calves that are the only calf you have.  In this case the people working with them basically become their herd, and they just want to love on you and play.  But when they get bigger they dont realize they are so much bigger and that their playing is becoming dangerous to you.  The other problem with these calves that get so lovey and want to rub on you and push on you all the time is their performance in the show ring.  I typically find that they either push all the time making them hard to keep in line or they get really slouchy and sloppy in the ring instead of keeping that head up and looking like a show calf.
Very fine line you have to walk. The animals are too large to be pets

SFASUshowman

I agree that its a fine line to walk, and the animals are to large to be pets.  But how many families that are new to showing get that first young, cute, cudly calf in and spend all their time rubbing, huggin, petting, etc.  That calf is going to start thinking of the people as its family, and thus interacting with them as if they were another cow.  So you have to make them realize you are not a cow, and they can not treat you that way.  But you also have to be careful in telling people how to handle this, because if you tell them to not allow it to happen, a lot of people will just start knocking the crap out of them everytime the calf gets remotely close to crossing the line, then you end up with a mad, scared, and resentful calf that is head butting out of anger and fear. To me that is far worse than one who is doing it playfully, though both are dangerous.
I always say treat them gently and with respect, but let them know you are boss.  Start with mild punishment like holding their head up, a light jerk on the halter, or a tap on the nose.  Slowly increase the severity until they get the point. This way you dont create a resentful animal. Another thing is to never end a session working with one while it has the upperhand.  If they are fighting or misbehaving just keep on working until they do what you want, even if it is slight.  example If your trying to teach one to lead and they just sull up and wont move, dont get frustrated and quit, keep at it until they take a step, even if it is just one small step!

Gators Rule

Zach said:
Smack on the nose. Don't beat her, just reinforce that your'e the boss. Say "stop" and make eye contact to.

ditto.  It doesn't have to be a hard smack....just a quick pop.  After a couple of times, she will generally get the message and stop.

Latest posts