Heifer Issues Need Advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

chappy

Ok everyone I have a bit of a dilemma that I need some advice on. I purchased a 2009 spring born show heifer in December 2009 in a bid off in up north. I never showed her due to the fact that I wanted to make a cow out of her. I have had her for 15 months now and never A.I ed her. just turned her out with a low birth weight bull for her first calf. I was out looking at her the other day thinking man she should be bred since she has been with a bull for 8 months but she is not showing any of sign of being bred.  so I took her to our vet and it turns out she is a free martin. only has 1 ovary and it is severely deformend and it never developed all the way and the other one is not there. had 2 other vets check and they say the same thing. I know when buying steers they can't guarantee anything but when you buy breeding heifers shouldn't they guarantee them to at least to have a female reproductive system? when I bought her she was way too young to come in heat or even check to see if everything is ok. at this point she is worthless. What should I do? I need some advice please!

Thank You
Chappy

Ms Ray

I would contact the breeder and let then know what happened and see what hey are willing to do,

braunvieh

I would also contact the seller and let them know. I know when I sell females I generally guarantee them to breed, and if I had been contacted with your dilemma I would make it right. Good luck, not all will do that.

JWW

agree with braunveih - if a heifer i sold did this i would make it right, depending on who you bought the heifer from might do the same, contact them and tell them the situation, if they are a respectable breeder and value you as a customer, you shouldn't have to worry.

depending on the situation, some breeders sell heifers as a "market heifer prospect" which can be poor advertising that she is a freemartin - not always-, when i am ever interested in a heifer listed as a "market heifer" i always ask about a breeding guarantee or if she is a freemartin.

JWW

T-bob

so how old is this heifer? if she is born in spring 09, and you bought her in Dec 09, how could you have owned her for 15 months?

chappy

Sorry she was born spring 08 and I bought her in winter of 08. wrong year. I am trying to get in contact with the breeder at this time. I hope they will take care of it she was listed as a breeding heifer not a market heifer. I wont even take chances with market heifers since in Texas we don't have that division and most don't make good cows. Thanks for the good advice I really appreciate it. keep it coming I will let everyone know what happens.

Earthmover

Ju st playing Devils advocate here but if you bought a pure breed SHOW heifer they may not be legally bond to make it right if she won't breed.  They sold her as a show animal. But not to start anything, I'd bet the seller will replace here.

Bulldaddy

Yes, if you actually showed the heifer and if she were not a free martin, then you would have no claim.  But since she is a free martin and you never showed her, then you should be entitled to a full refund.  It would be unethical to knowingly sell a free martin without disclosing that information as in the case of a bull calf/heifer calf set of twins.  I would contact the breeder and explain what happened.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't give you are refund.

CMB

Been there, done that. The first question I ask when purchasing a heifer is if she's guaranteed. Live and learn.

TNorlan

I cant imagine a FULL refund would be a fair deal to the breeder, they most likely didnt know the heifer wouldnt breed.  I think a pretty fair trade off would be selling you an equal quality heifer at market price. This way it offsets the cost of the faulty heifer and you get what you originally paid for.  Breeder ends up selling 1 Market heifer, 1 Show heifer and you end up buying 1 Market heifer and 1 show heifer.  You're just out time.... so maybe he sells a little under marker price. Good luck.

Jill

Bulldaddy said:
Yes, if you actually showed the heifer and if she were not a free martin, then you would have no claim.  But since she is a free martin and you never showed her, then you should be entitled to a full refund.   It would be unethical to knowingly sell a free martin without disclosing that information as in the case of a bull calf/heifer calf set of twins.   I would contact the breeder and explain what happened.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't give you are refund.

Agree with this post, showing does nullify the guarantee if the breeder wants to be a jerk, but if she was a free martin the breeder should have already had some idea of this when you bought the calf since that happens with twins.  The breeder should give you a refund, or give you the option of replacing the heifer.

Jill

I guess just to add 1 thing, in some of these bid off deals you need to check the terms, I know like in Brad Hooks calf sale it states right in the terms that there is no breeding guarantee on the heifers, so you might check what your terms were first.

chappy

She has never been shown to my knowledge . We buy good quality heifers and make cows out of them. I understand the then bid off process but heck even market animals can be flushed and she wasn't sold as a market heifer. but in her case her left ovary's are very small as the vet said. "almost the left one is like a few month old heifers size and the right one isn't even there at all". I hope they will do the right thing. thanks for all the advice.

Chappy