heifer(pictures)

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLD

farmboy said:
Bullistic, Okay, I thought that was a reference to Bull- istic characteristics. Semen is available from some of those sibs, i didnt know that much...I can consider my self smarter http://www.showcattlepage.com/dejong/accomplishments.htm (bottom of page

Karma point to who can tell me Full Throttles lesser brother

I really like the heifer pictured

Full Throttle's lesser known but still fairly widely used full brother was Takin' Names - he was actually a year or two older, and injured a hip before Dean could get him cut, so he ended up leaving him a bull and using him for clean-up. The calves were good enough that he decided it would be worth keeping a sound full brother to promote. Takin Names was noticeably easier calving than Throttle, and though his calves tended not be as extremely heavy muscled and a tic bigger framed than Throttles, he produced his share of winning show steers.

afhm

Went back and read all the posts and if I understand correctly the red one is somebody's donor and he is selling eggs out of her and Power Plus.  Looking at the black one, yes she is a little dirty fronted, but I am willing to bet that crossed with some of the freaky fronted, tighter gutted bulls out there she can raise one heck of a steer calf.  She looks to me like she could throw some calves that would run limmy.  She ought to fair OK in the show ring under breeding cattle judges, under the more clubby oriented  and the university "text book experts" judges she probably won't get along very well.  I would take a chance on the black for a cow and pass on the red one unless she is dirt, dirt cheap.

pigguy

noshe aint dirt cheap either the same guy owns both of these, so i gusse i will continue looking for some more heifers.

justintime

I have to agree with several earlier posts about the red Maine female. She definitely has some major issues with her structural soundness. She would be a pretty good female if she had better wheels. If she isn't having some mobility issues yet, I think she will start showing some before she gets much older.She could probably use a little more capacity as well.  The black heifer has many more good traits than she has bad. I agree that I would like to see a " sweeter" head as I think she is just a little steery looking. from the pictures I think she does not appear to be so androgenous that she will have breeding issues.I would take my chances with her as a breeding female, but you may have to take a little extra time selecting the right sire to breed her too. I think she has enough good traits that she could possibly produce a really good calf, if she is bred to the right sire.

Some would say she is not clean enough through her neck and brisket, but I have no issues here. I think any female that can stay in good condition after her show career is over needs to look a little like this female in her capacity, and her neck and brisket. I think oftentimes we are selecting for hard doing cattle if we get these cattle too goosey fronted. They look good in the show ring, but usually look like an Indian dog out in a field of corn stocks. Too many times, people confuse femininity with fraility. Femininity is probably one of the most abused words in the beef industry, and I find that most people don't really know what it really should look like.

OH Breeder

I could see your black heifer and Kadabara really clicking. He tends to clean up the front and make them a bit more pretty. JMO

showcattlegal

If your looking for cows and embryo's for sale there will be a lot of sales this fall and winter with a lot of good Maine cattle you just have to do a lil research.

TJ

OH Breeder said:
I could see your black heifer and Kadabara really clicking. He tends to clean up the front and make them a bit more pretty. JMO

I agree 100% about Kadbra making them "prettier" & he would for sure pretty that heifer up.  I also think that he could make some really attractive females.  But, from what I've seen out of Kadabra (I've seen several), the females better be pretty soggy & the female better have a pretty good lower quarter, if you are wanting steers.     

FWIW, my cousin had a Kadabra steer that was as fancy as fancy gets & boy was it a hairy rascal too!!  It was not rinsed everyday, nor was it under fans until July & it was not in a cool room either, but it had 4 - 5 inches of good hair (I loved helping clip that calf!!) almost all summer long, despite being fed cracked corn, a couple oz. of oil & a little bit of cooked corn added to it's ration.  Every single show that my cousin competed in (including the State Fair), the judge always said that it was the fanciest calf in it's class.  However, it's a good thing that it was extra fancy because that calf didn't have much of a lower quarter & it was high flanked, depsite feeding it lots of beet pulp a few weeks prior to the shows.  So keep that in mind RE Kadabra. 

Don't know a lot about him & I haven't seen any of his calves, but I am wondering if Abrakadabra, a Kadabra son, might work too & he looks to be a a little stouter.       

BTW, I don't think that the black heifer is so bad.  She's not close to being an elite show heifer, but even though she isn't a great one, she's not all that bad either.

Clubcalfshowgirl

pigguy said:
what do you guys think of this september heifer??

IMG_7564.jpg

IMG_7549.JPG

i have a cople others i will post later on

Where is she located at?? i'm interstead in her if your not going to get her, she would win everything in FL reminds me of a heifer i was showing for a guy and the lowest she EVER went in a class was 3rd and that was with a judge that made no sense on his placeings.She had a few grands and alot of reserves.

DL

farmboy said:
DL, i have to ask, whos the power plant full brother...or was that hypethetical  ???

farmboy said:
DL, i have to ask, whos the power plant full brother...or was that hypethetical  ???
  DLD is right it is Bullistic (Power Plants full brother). The other one I was referring to was the sire who is a full brother to Reflector - Reflector was a good bull if you didn't mind chrome - he is a SMithbilt son and made some great females - I imagine that the sire of the calf in question is DeJong's herd sire (full brother to Reflector)

pigguy

Clubcalfshowgirl said:
Where is she located at?? i'm interstead in her if your not going to get her, she would win everything in FL reminds me of a heifer i was showing for a guy and the lowest she EVER went in a class was 3rd and that was with a judge that made no sense on his placeings.She had a few grands and alot of reserves.

the guy is in texas. if he ever returns my emails and phone calls i will tell you if i want him or not. and if not i will send him your way

Clubcalfshowgirl

pigguy said:
Clubcalfshowgirl said:

the guy is in texas. if he ever returns my emails and phone calls i will tell you if i want him or not. and if not i will send him your way

kkk thanks ya have him e-mail me at [email protected] if u dont get her.

frm_girl

i think that they both are both beautifully.  My friend showed a year old heifer last fall after the county fair and the judge didn't like her becuse she basically did have the body of a steer, but she was still a beautiful animal with a body fit for her (she was very unique).  Later on in winter,  she took her to a national show and she won grand champion heifer because she was stocky and eventually filled out.  I would guess that this is what will be soon to come in both of your heifers, and by the looks of your pictures they are well on there way. :D

Latest posts