Heifer Plus

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattledog

Ok....I broke down and tried heifer plus.  I was actually kind of amazed that the five cows I tried this on stuck.  Every single one of them.  I will say this process felt completely wrong.  It seemed like I was breaking all of the rules of semen handling and I can't tell you how many times I was cursing myself in the process.  Just wanted to let people know the luck I had with this product.  I guess now I just have to wait and see the results.  I was thinking of taking the cows for an ultrasound to sex the calves and my grandfather told me I would just be wasting my money as I can't change what is already there. :)  I guess patience comes with time.

Cattledog

M-n-M Cattle Company said:
Not meaning to sound silly but what is heifer plus. I have never heard of it before. Thanks

It is supposed to be a sexing agent that you can mix with a straw of semen.  If it is heifer plus it is higher percentage heifers.  If it is bull plus it is a higher percentage of bulls.  If you are me you are highly skeptical! ;D

jbw

Hate to tell ya but you should have saved your $$$$$. I tried the magic, to good to be true juice last year. I can tell you that using hfr plus got me over 80% bulls on the embryos born this spring and 100% bulls on the two that I aied with. Patience comes with age and so does knowledge, I learned that I won't wastes my $ on hfr plus anymore. I'll just waste it somewhere else!

Cattledog

jbw said:
Hate to tell ya but you should have saved your $$$$$. I tried the magic, to good to be true juice last year. I can tell you that using hfr plus got me over 80% bulls on the embryos born this spring and 100% bulls on the two that I aied with. Patience comes with age and so does knowledge, I learned that I won't wastes my $ on hfr plus anymore. I'll just waste it somewhere else!

Ouch!  You could have broke it to me a little easier.  ;D  I'm still going to hold some outside hope that I get along better than you did. 

jbw

Sorry about being blunt, I try to tell it like I see it, I wish you the best of luck, I am chalking that up as one of those to good to be true deals, kinda like those battery powered electrical stimulation devices that you stick to your beer-belly, sit in the recliner, drink beer, and have rock hard abs in 8 weeks. {Iswear that I never had one,but prayed that they worked so I could get one} ;D

Cattledog

jbw said:
Sorry about being blunt, I try to tell it like I see it, I wish you the best of luck, I am chalking that up as one of those to good to be true deals, kinda like those battery powered electrical stimulation devices that you stick to your beer-belly, sit in the recliner, drink beer, and have rock hard abs in 8 weeks. {Iswear that I never had one,but prayed that they worked so I could get one} ;D

Crap!  You are calling me out on everything tonight! Yep those belly deals never did work!  (lol)

Cowboy

You boys shouldhave just asked Terry -- I had the pleasure of using it "O N C E " on a good little donor cow. She had always fertilized everything for the owner, not a huge number cow -- but she worked.

Hfr Plus showed up one day at the door -- was told to try it and see how it worked -- OK?? -- I was not too enthused but what do I know right?

Using 2 units of good semen -- I mixed the stuff while I sweated out the time line deal. Took the now BLUE semen to the donor who patiently let me service her as usual.

7 days later -- I looked at the 9 UNFERTILIZED eggs and just said a few selected words as I shook my head. One thing I did say was -- NEVER again! And I have lept that promise. SAve your money -- it will work on a very few selected cows, who may never fail any way!

That was sposed to be her last flush -- so I bred her and sent her home. Too bad -- I felt terrible.

If it ain't broke -- please don't try to fix it!

Terry

KLLR

We we're probably some of the first people to use it...I was given a bunch of it by the crackpot that invented the stuff (he lives about 5 miles from our farm).  We did 3 flushes with the heifer plus and bred approximately 15 additional cows.  First off, let me say that it does not work, our sex ratio on the calves was actually around %60 bull calves (there has never been a large scale in vivo study to look at wether this stuff works...all the work has been done on a small scale and done in-vitro...because of this I'm extremely suprised that a reputable semen company now markets this stuff)..

One thing I will say for this product is that it did not have a negative impact on our conception rates.  Our cows we A.I.'d with it we're around %80 (which was right in line with the rest of the herd), and the we did not have any unfertilized eggs out of the 3 flushes we did.

jbw

It did not effect my conception rate at all, just didn't work AT ALL. Please throw your money out the window instead of payinf for Hfr Plus. Someone will find your money, spend it, and in turn that will stimulate the economy! (lol)

linnettejane

i did not use this product, but my ai guy did on his cows....i dont think it went over very well....not sure of the exact details, but i believe there was some major cussing and even straws thrown over the hill, he really had a time with it....not sure of his final results...but i told him he probably would have been ahead just to buy the sexed semen if he wanted heifers that bad...he had a bad enough time that i wont use it....

Cattledog

linnettejane said:
i did not use this product, but my ai guy did on his cows....i dont think it went over very well....not sure of the exact details, but i believe there was some major cussing and even straws thrown over the hill, he really had a time with it....not sure of his final results...but i told him he probably would have been ahead just to buy the sexed semen if he wanted heifers that bad...he had a bad enough time that i wont use it....

I didn't have a hard time using the product at all.  I was very nervous about the time that I was taking during the process though.

lynle1234

We tried it on one cow- and she had a heifer. 

Our neighbor used it and had 100% heifers on the ones he used it on. 

I've heard to not flush with it, so we havent' tried that.    I am not sure if we'd use it again or not.

kanacki00

Sorry to hear about the neg results.  I've used it on a flush and had it fertilize 34 for 34 eggs with 3 throwaways using 1/4cc semen.  The jury is still out if they will be the right sex or not.  The one variable that I think is important is the timing of the ai service.  When using this product, I think it is very critical to be as close to 12-18 after standing heat as possible.  The time of ovulation is the one variable that is tough to control and probably as much of a factor as anything.  The snag of accelerating the desired sex, is that they will reach the egg first.  If the cow isn't ready, they will die and the slower and less desirable sperm will reach once the lining is soft.  It may help to give them a shot of gnrh after the breeding to ensure ovulation.  I think the kits have potential, however a more precise protocol is probably in order to make the product as "reliable" as they claim.  I am using it on every one of my cows this year, so I will have results in another 50 days.  I will be either drinking beer or whiskey and I'll let you know the results.  Good luck to all.

Cattledog

BCCC said:
sounds like what people need to be using when breeding their cows to heatwave!!

That is a good poiint.  If I would ever be crazy enough to breed to heatwave I guarantee I would have all heifers! (lol)