Heifer Reverted

Help Support Steer Planet:

KCRR1981

First year showing and we have a Brahman Heifer that is about a year old. My daughter is 9 years old & Everything was going great and she was leading good & had been to about 4 shows. She has always been an "only cow" up until about two weeks ago when my other daughter got her young heifer. Ever since we got the new heifer our Brahman has completely changed! She refuses to lead & we have done everything we know to do in the form of tying up and pull release we have also tried walking the other heifer with her & in front of her. We have not pulled her with anything because we are tying to do this the loving gentle way but we are out of ideas. She is like a huge dog with out her halter on and loves us so much but put the halter on and she sulls up and will not budge! At this past show my daughter couldn't even show her because of this and people were trying to help by pushing and she tried to kick them!! She has not done that since we first got her! It's like we are starting form the beginning again! We are open to ANY new idea to try! I'm tired of watching my little girl cry because all she wants to do is show her heifer. =( 

simba

Tie her low in a nice place with hay for 6 or 8 hours, then try to lead her to water and back. If she won’t go feed her and leave her there overnight and try again in the morning. Keep trying until she leads there and back, she’ll give in.

KCRR1981

I swear she is the most stubborn thing I have ever met lol. I will try the tying up & leading to water. Was thinking of buying the spike chain for under her chin when leading her but don’t know much about them or if they have been successful in getting them to lead.

KCRR1981

Thanks for the advice! She is now leading again & we even went to a show this past Saturday!  (clapping)

ska

ok great!!! i had a heifer like this. but i kept them together. and when i separated them things got better.

Latest posts