heifer to critique

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

This is a purebred Braunvieh heifer, and she is going to be shown but that is not our main focus. Would welcome any and all comments!

Attachments

• Cancion.jpg
    Cancion.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 494

shortyjock89

I think she's pretty dang nice.  I'm definitely not an expert on the breed, but I'm guessing the leather up front is normal.  If that was trimmed down and she had some shag, she would run with some pretty high dollar club calf types.  Are you taking this one to the Royal?

Cattledog

I think that she is a pretty nice heifer.  I believe the extra front is normal on this breed.  Other than that she looks to have a lot of usefulness as a breeding heifer!

Dusty

What is a braunvieh exactly???  Someone told me once that they were a brown swiss that didn't milk, but I think that was probably an exageration......

OH Breeder

Dusty said:
What is a braunvieh exactly???  Someone told me once that they were a brown swiss that didn't milk, but I think that was probably an exageration......

Braunvieh are an old breed developed in Swiss Alps. Brown Swiss CAME from the Braunvieh.Not the other way around.

braunvieh

Yes, we are taking her to the Royal -- will you be there?

The extra skin is pretty common, but there are varying degrees of it. Just depends on the genetics. Those that are super clean like the clubbies are only percentage Braunvieh.

Braunvieh is a pure breed that originated from the Swiss Alps. It is not a cross of any kind and the Brown Swiss was actually developed from the Braunvieh in the 1800s. Today, they have no genetic similarity of any kind. The Braunvieh's biggest assests are their materal traits (excellent udders and milk), carcass (low yield grade but grades choice with big REA) and efficiency (moderate frame, very adaptable, super disposition). They cross well with many breeds. Did anyone see the show on them on RFD-TV the last 2 weeks?

I really appreciate the comments on the heifer!

shortyjock89

I won't be there, sadly.  I was going to go with a percentage Lowline heifer and two Shorthorn heifers, but I'm not able to go now.  I think she's pretty nice and should make a pretty cool cow.  How tough is the competition at your National-level shows?

braunvieh

I would say it is pretty tough competition, and it has gotten that way the last year or so. We have around 100 head at the National Shows. We also added a percentage division and that has brought some club-type calves into the circuit.

CAB

Very nice heifer. Haven't Braunvieh won the carcass contest @ Denver more than once? Brent

braunvieh

brent,
The Braunvieh are super carcass cattle and Yes, they have won Denver carcass contest multiple times. Don't quote me on this, but I believe for the % of Braunvieh entered as a breed compared to other breeds, they have won more than any other breed out there. Thanks for the comments.

rex

good luck I am hoping to go to American Royal too.