Heifer will NOT stay in halter. Advice please.

Help Support Steer Planet:

COWgirls

She's gotten better and better at "rubbing" her halter off and can do it now almost as quickly as you can get it on her.  We added a neck tie a while back to help, which slowed her down.  She's so good now that she removes the halter and only has a neck tie on during her tie-up time.  She rubs it against...anything...to get it over one ear to get it off.  Suggestions welcome.

upthecreek

Try threading the neck tie through the halter on the top of her head.  We do this all the time at shows and have not had one slip her halter in years(I hope I didn't just jinx myself).

fordkindagirl

Rope halter or control halter? If your using a rope halter, try a control halter so there is a throatlatch (I guess that's what you would call it) stopping her form getting it off. I know it's got a chain, and you might not need it, but they are a lot harder to get off than a rope halter.

vc

My youngest sons first steer (Fat Freddy) could get the halter off in no time, we bought a nylon horse halter and put it over the rope halter when ever we tied him.
we ran the lead through the buckle on the left so it worked fine. My buddy called it the Hannibal Lector mask. Calf could not get out of the halter, we did not put it back on him after the county fair show and the next morning he had visited all the other calves in the barn, taste testing ribbons, chairs and what ever else he could find. (neck rope just took longer to get out of, he was a Angus with a short snout and a stout neck)

Attachments

• 23852.jpg
    23852.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 776

advocate

Tie a piece of twine behind one ear down under the throat and back up behind the other ear

brenn

I use a rope control halter for the escape artists, but I would suggest using the "Nose, Neck or Ear Pads" from Sullivans on the them to prevent chafing.

Okotoks

FutureBreeder said:
advocate said:
Tie a piece of twine behind one ear down under the throat and back up behind the other ear

My steer was an escape artist and that fixed my problem.
One of Jacqueline's 4H cows got so good at removing her halter we used to time her and it took only a few seconds. At first we used a neck rope but found using twine kept it on.

Hilltop

Okotoks said:
FutureBreeder said:
advocate said:

One of Jacqueline's 4H cows got so good at removing her halter we used to time her and it took only a few seconds. At first we used a neck rope but found using twine kept it on.
I bet har name was Hillary?  Never seen a halter come off so fast as that old girl!

Okotoks

Hilltop said:
Okotoks said:
FutureBreeder said:
advocate said:

I bet har name was Hillary?  Never seen a halter come off so fast as that old girl!
You got it! Diamond Hilary Susan had halter removal down to a fine art form. The good thing was she never really went far after her escapes.

kanshow

(clapping) There is always one charater in the bunch.  We have one that unties the ropes if you don't watch her. 

lightnin4

I worked security for the Simmy Jr. Nationals when I was in college.  Each night we walked the tie-outs every hour on the hour.  And each walk thru I rehaltered and neck-tied the same heifer.  Fortunately she never went far and she was easy to catch!  She always seemed to be pleased with herself & waiting for me!

vc

Nothing more frustrating than a knot on the lead when you go to give some one a hand at haltering or re-haltering after a class. Some calves the twine under the the jaw works others are just to good at getting free. Last years steer would get out of his halter in the stall he just never moved from his spot, I even untied the rope to lead him before we noticed he was free, we just started neck roping him with out the halter until we went to tie him up or work him, saved the halter from getting ruined by him standing on it all day.

COWgirls

Many thanks for the suggestions.  The quick fix with the twine has worked so far.  In watching her yesterday, we're prepared to move on to other suggestions cause she's pretty determined to get out of it - like it's a game.  Thank goodness she's gentle as a cat.  Thanks again!

vc

try the horse halter over the rope halter, the steer we had could not get out of it, he gave up trying after awhile.