heifer wont eat

Help Support Steer Planet:

gilbert07

i haave a heifer that i bought in a sale two weeks ago...the guy we bought her from said shes only ate out of a bunk with other heifers...we got her home and she was eating just fine...we starting putting her by herself a few days ago and she was eating fine as well...she ate the feed but at the time i had a different formula so i went and got the same made as what shes been eating and now she wont eat at all..the only difference is mine has calf manna and his doesnt..i also tried winning fill and she doesnt eat that either..i would appreciate some help from anyone...thanks

farmin female

Well, I tend to be one of those people who will tell you that they will eat when they get hungry.  But when you said she wouldn't eat winning fill, I had to start wondering of something else is going on.  Switching feeds around can make them a little picky for a bit, but she should pick back up.  I would say keep an eye on her and maybe just give her a bunch of hay to make her happy for a bit then start her back on the grain later.

CAB

Gilbert is there a chance that you tried to push her too much feed too quickly and therefore may have caused her a slight risk of overload? It's real easy to do in cattle especially shortly after a move or slight stress. Some good "grass" hay and start her up very slowly is what I would try. Possibly some ant- histamine as a precaution. Have you tempted her and does she seem alert and bright eyed?

gilbert07

she seems to be fine to me...she was running around the lot this morning and was moving around well, not acting like she is sick...she is on a grass bale and seems to be eating it..i will give it a couple more days and see if she changes her mind..i was wondering if probios or vitamin b 12 would work?

farmermom

When you start grain again.  Get some Vitafirm Sure champ.  Had a similiar problem 2 yrs ago and ithe vitafirm really helped.