Heifer Won't Eat.

Help Support Steer Planet:

garett

I've got a heifer that has been eating about 24 lbs of AAOK's ration for the past month or so. She was needing more fat so I started adding a little soy oil to her feed morning and night about a week ago. She ate it all just fine for the first couple of days, but after that she has all but completely gone off feed. My dad feeds her during the week when I away at college and said he had pretty much quit giving her any of the oil and she still wasn't cleaning up much of her feed. She was usually a fast eater and had her pan cleaned up within 20 minutes, but now she just picks at her feed and it takes her forever to eat whatever she does.
Dad gave her a shot last weekend about the time this happened and it left her neck a little tender. Surely this wouldn't have anything to do with it?

Any suggestions of what to do? Or what might be wrong?

CAB

Do you know what the shot was for? If she was coming down with something, she's naturally going to back off of feed and if she was @ her limit feed intake wise, the extra energy supplied from the soybean oil just took her over the limit and you are going to have to back her down and bring her back up on feed. The oil can sure change her gut.

garett

I know the vaccine was a preg guard and at least rednose. Dad was giving it to all of his heifers and said it would be good to give her one just to keep her healthy.