HELP!! Growing steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

We don't have the early way in rules like that in Texas.  Sounds like a big headache. 

SKF

Is he a Florida born calf? Our Florida born calves are about the same weight. So it is hard to compare a calf from another state because Florida grass does not have the nutrients that other states have plus it is really hot most of the year.  When we buy calves from other states they are always bigger.

shorthorns r us

chambero said:
We don't have the early way in rules like that in Texas.  Sounds like a big headache. 

you do in some parts of texas!

i sold a 11/05 steer that had to way less than 750 on 9/15/06.  i don't know how they did it; but, he made the weight and they said he won the county show?????

Clubcalfshowgirl

yes it is a headache but they want all calves to be heavy enough at the end to be good eating, they just moved up the bottom weight last year, to make sure calves would have some finsh on them.

chambero said:

Clubcalfshowgirl

yes this is a Florida born calf. He actually is in good weight (soo many people are starving there calves to make weight right now and stunting there growth and then at the end they grow like a weed), he is a good looking calf i just need height on him b/c i think it might hurt him in the long run, even tho are grand and reserve champion this year werent that tall, our reserve was 1300 almost 1400lbs, but he wasnt a tall guy. Ya our grass down here just isnt the same as out west and other places. The shorty i got from mississippi is 834lbs and only a month older and he gets whatever he will eat.

SKF said:
Is he a Florida born calf? Our Florida born calves are about the same weight. So it is hard to compare a calf from another state because Florida grass does not have the nutrients that other states have plus it is really hot most of the year.  When we buy calves from other states they are always bigger.

chambero

SRU said:
chambero said:

i sold a 11/05 steer that had to way less than 750 on 9/15/06.  i don't know how they did it; but, he made the weight and they said he won the county show?????

Interesting.  None of the counties we've sold calves to have had them.  What part of Texas did that calf go to?  First I've heard of it.  That would have to be a really late county show.  Most of our county shows range from late January to late March.  Most are in the late March time frame after Houston.

Clubcalfshowgirl

chambero said:
SRU said:
chambero said:

Interesting.  None of the counties we've sold calves to have had them.  What part of Texas did that calf go to?  First I've heard of it.  That would have to be a really late county show.  Most of our county shows range from late January to late March.  Most are in the late March time frame after Houston.

the show that my black steer is going to is beg. of march.

Clubcalfshowgirl

HERES SOME PICTURES I TOOK TONITE!!  Not the best in the world but u sure can tell hes still growing, hes about to hit anthor growth spurt. what does everybody think?? i figured out y he was soo gangly looking was b/c he was in a growth spurt, now he muscled back out and is about to grow up again.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 201
  • butt.jpg
    butt.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 148