help haining weight!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ga Steerjock

I have an angus heifer thats really green. I need to get as much weight on her as possible within the next 4-5 weeks. Any suggestions?

TJ

Ga Steerjock said:
I have an angus heifer thats really green. I need to get as much weight on her as possible within the next 4-5 weeks. Any suggestions?

What are you feeding her right now? 

Ga Steerjock

She is being fed FRM heifer developer. It's approximately 12% protein, 3% fat, and 18% fiber. She's also being fed about 4 oz of Full Tank.

AAOK

Take about a week to switch her to a Finishing Ration, and leave her on it; about 25lbs/day if she is under 1000lbs, more if over..

OhShOwEr

I would take her off the daily ration of Full tank as well, you are taking up space that you could be filling with grains to get her finished!!  :)

showsteerdlux

Along with what everyone else has said I would put her on something with a whole lot less fiber and maybe higher in protein and fat. If your wanting weight you probably cant beat adding corn to her diet, but just make sure that you dont get her overly fat. Also make sure that she is on a high quality (mineral preferably chelated if you can get it,) such as Cargill/Nutrena or something on this line. I used Cargill Onyx last year and had great results but any high quality mineral should help her greatly. Also watch her hay intake as she could be getting too much hay which is filling her up and not allowing much weight gain.

AAOK

OhShOwEr said:
I would take her off the daily ration of Full tank as well, you are taking up space that you could be filling with grains to get her finished!!  :)

By all means.  This goes without saying!

AAOK

showsteerdlux said:
Along with what everyone else has said I would put her on something with a whole lot less fiber and maybe higher in protein and fat. If your wanting weight you probably cant beat adding corn to her diet, but just make sure that you dont get her overly fat. Also make sure that she is on a high quality (mineral preferably chelated if you can get it,) such as Cargill/Nutrena or something on this line. I used Cargill Onyx last year and had great results but any high quality mineral should help her greatly. Also watch her hay intake as she could be getting too much hay which is filling her up and not allowing much weight gain.

I'll second the Mineral suggestion, but your FRM feed should contain adequate mineral and vitamins.  You DO NOT want to increase protein.  A Finisher Mix will decrease protein and increase fat.

Ga Steerjock

I'm adding the Full Tank because she needs both weight and gut. I'm only adding a little. I checked the FRM tag and the fiber is more like 14%. Is there anything that I could topdress to her feed?

showsteerdlux

Gut is alot easier to get on. wory about weight 1st and the gut later. One thing is that the heavier she gets the more filled out she will be so Id take her off the full tank immediately then put her back on it about a week before your show.
14% on fiber is still to much, Id move her to a finisher.

Ga Steerjock

Ok, we now have her on a 9% fiber, 11% protein, 3% fat feed and the Full Tank has been taken away. Any other suggestions?

Latest posts