HELP Heifer blood no colostrum

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okie Boy

Help. Heifer seems to have calved 2 weeks early. She has bloody "milk", not normal colostrum. I did a quick search here and did not get any usefull info though I think it may have been discussed before. i am not really conserned about the calf, it is strong and trying to nurse. We are giving "artificial" colostrum . But the concern is will the cow come to her milk. Can the vet give her a shot to help? Any help will be appreciated.

Show Heifer

Sounds like the heifer might have mastitis. She needs some antibiotic and if at all possible, needs milked out by hand (this helps get the infection out). If you have a vet near, call and tell them the problem. Most likely they will give you a shot to give. And remember to keep the calf fed, but try not to get it "bottle broke" or you will have trouble getting it back on the cow.
Good luck and keep us posted.

fluffer

I agree, sounds like Mastitis.  Does she have blood in all 4 quarters?  I have only had that happen 1 time and the cow only has mastitis in 2 quarters.  Milk the cow out and make sure you get the calf good milk (milk replacer if needed).  I ended up having to bottle raise the calf and the cow went to town.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Fluffer

red

good post Show Hef & Fluffer. Are the inserts you use for dairy cattle into their teats approved for beef cattle? I know in dairy cows the milk has to be dumped so doubt if the cow could be nursed. Check for temp too. Many times fever is present in mastitis.

Red

fluffer

Yes it can.  I had a heifer that had it one time in a rear qrt, but we got her cleared up before she calved.  We used the long acting penicillin (I think) that was amost 10 years ago  ;)  Other then that qtr has never milked 100% it didn't effect her too much.  She has raised a nice set of twins since then all on her own.

Fluffer

Show Heifer

Mastitis can be present anytime the udder is in milk production (rarely when dry). So yes, can happen before calving.
As fluffer said, keep her milked out, treated with antibiotics (did you call a vet?) and with luck you can save the quarter, half or udder. But do NOT let it go untreated...as it may spread to the other quarters, and possibly go into her bloodstream and cause a very serious, sometimes fatal, infection.
Keep us posted.

Okie Boy

update        Calf is very active. The cow is being a good mother. I got her in to milk her out this morn but all blood had cleared up. Milk looked like milk. One of my concerns yesterday was that she gad not cleaned. When I reached inside her yesterday to make sure there was not another calf I could feel the buttons ( cotyledons ? ) and was thinking that it meant she had not cleaned. Now that I think about it I am thinking she had already done so. I was not expecting her to calve so I was not watching closely, she was two weeks early, not springing and not much udder yet. That is why I was questioning mastitis so much, she was not into milk production yet.Thank you for your concern and help, I will be calling the vet in the AM>

daydreamingacres

My simmi cow got mastitis when she was dry this summer. She was bred twice so I thought that she was bagging to the first breeding but when I looked back at vet records she was bred to the 2nd breeding which was 3 months after! I got a hold of her udder and just kept "milking" out the mastitis. It was chunky nasty smelly stuff....but she calved and her udder seemed to be OK. I hope that you cows gets all better! :)