HELP! I'm new at this..

Help Support Steer Planet:

starletcl12

I'm getting a Steer in mid-May and I have no experience with beef cattle, only sheep. I would like to know what you find is the best feed to buy and any additives you use.

Thanks for all your help!

-Christina

showgirl2010

1st of all there are alot of different kinds of good feed.  You just have to find a brand that fits your budget and works with your animals.  I prefer a show chow mixture or showmaster.  Have had great luck with both.  But we do mix our own feed.  So we have our own ration to go with.

We use Beef Concentrate from SM and Grand 4-T fyer from SC.  Here are the links.

http://www.showmasterfeeds.com/Screens/Products/ShowCalves.aspx

http://www.purinamills.com/OurProducts.aspx?product=showchow

These are great feeding programs, but it depends on what you are willing to do and what is avaiable to you.  At the moment we are using SC because of the prices and since the show season was started with that it will finish with that. 

Jamie

OH Breeder

starletcl12 said:
I'm getting a Steer in mid-May and I have no experience with beef cattle, only sheep. I would like to know what you find is the best feed to buy and any additives you use.

-Christina

My suggestion to you first is to talk with the breeder to see what kind of feed the calf has been on. A grower ration a creep ration etc. Then look at cost. Some feed may not be as easily as accessible and costly. With the price of grain you have to figure the cost. We have used Umbargers and the feed mill both. They run about neck and neck. Lots of pre pared feeds out there. Work with your breeder.
The age of the calf the time of your fair etc will also make a difference. the calf may need to pushed hard may be able to cruise. Consider all of those things.
I have never had any luck with the oxy blast etc. I have had success with fast fat and calf manna. Both do a nice job.
this is a start.

TJ

OH Breeder said:
starletcl12 said:

-Christina

My suggestion to you first is to talk with the breeder to see what kind of feed the calf has been on. A grower ration a creep ration etc. Then look at cost. Some feed may not be as easily as accessible and costly. With the price of grain you have to figure the cost. We have used Umbargers and the feed mill both. They run about neck and neck. Lots of pre pared feeds out there. Work with your breeder.
The age of the calf the time of your fair etc will also make a difference. the calf may need to pushed hard may be able to cruise. Consider all of those things.
I have never had any luck with the oxy blast etc. I have had success with fast fat and calf manna. Both do a nice job.
this is a start.

Some good advise, OH B!  Yep, I'd talk to the breeder!  Get the calf started off the right way & don't change too much too quick.  After that, you may want to talk to a 4H leader, FFA instructor, Cattle Feed Rep, etc.   

kimbaljd

showgirl2010 said:
1st of all there are alot of different kinds of good feed.  You just have to find a brand that fits your budget and works with your animals.  I prefer a show chow mixture or showmaster.  Have had great luck with both.  But we do mix our own feed.  So we have our own ration to go with.

We use Beef Concentrate from SM and Grand 4-T fyer from SC.  Here are the links.

http://www.showmasterfeeds.com/Screens/Products/ShowCalves.aspx

http://www.purinamills.com/OurProducts.aspx?product=showchow

These are great feeding programs, but it depends on what you are willing to do and what is avaiable to you.  At the moment we are using SC because of the prices and since the show season was started with that it will finish with that. 

Jamie

We have had great luck with the Showmaster feed so far.

Latest posts