Help naming a calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Deaves Show Cattle

Just thought some of the creative members could help me out naming this calf. She is a May Gizmo and Sonny cross shorthorn heifer. I tossed around the idea of something eclipse or mahogany magic. Just let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• maygizmoXsunny_275.jpg
    maygizmoXsunny_275.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 369

shortyjock89

Like, what's her momma's name?  Examples of some cow families in Shorthorns are : Augusta Pride, Fantasy Girl, Desert Rose, Red Nan.  Something with Gizmo and her Momma's cow line could be cool.  We name a lot of our Sonny-influenced animals with "Sun" in there somewhere.

Deaves Show Cattle

I dont know her moms name because i bought her off of mike hibma in Iowa at a sale last fall. But your right, incorporating a family name would be cool. I really just thought about something flashy like my heifer in my avatar is Simi sweet. Thanks for the comments so far and ill try to include the family name somewhere.

shortyjock89

You got her from Himba?  Well I know he's not a Shorthorn guy, so you might be out of luck there.  Do you not have papers on her?  She looks pretty cool, but I'm kinda bad at thinking up names...I leave that to the little sis or whatever the kids who buy the calves like!

Deaves Show Cattle

Yeah she and my other heifer simi sweet came from his past sale. I paid $1500 for her and $2700 for the other. Im very satisfied with these calves and love working with them and having them in our show lineup. She is just amazing level and straight in all her lines, thick, hair galore, big boned, adequately muscled, and an easy calve to work with. The picture just doesnt justify her in person appearance.

shortyjock89

I sure am glad you like them, a friend of mine has gotten a few calves from Mike, and I helped out with the sale that he had here in IL a year and a half or so ago.  Get some new pics of them when you show them next, they look like really cool heifers.

Deaves Show Cattle

When you mention the show, I get a little upset because that wont be until april at our state beef expo. also unfortunatley they dont have a shorthorn show so im not exactly what all classes she will be in.

shortyjock89

Well thats too bad, I've been at three shows already this year, and my beef expo is this weekend.  Where do you live? I don't know of a place that doesn't have a Shorthorn show haha.

Deaves Show Cattle

I live in Virginia and there hasnt been a shorthorn show there since the early years of the show. Its very depressing but hopefully it will come back soon because there are becoming more and more popular throughout the state.

OH Breeder

You could think about starting your own cow family name. Gizmo goes back to a cow family name of Rosewood. It is an oldy. Sonny'  has Cumberland family Carmele family. You have other cow families like Rodeo Drive, Smallflower cow family, Lily cow family. Totally up to you, but we have a registered name that includes the cow families. Then we have the name we call them at the farm.

Cumberland Leader
Carmele Rosewood
Sonny Drive