Help need steer charmer

Help Support Steer Planet:

mswcattle

My son has a steer that is impossible.  We cannot make him walk.  He locks up on all four feet.  He is not mean.  He's been clipped and blown on etc.  When you do get him to move a few steps he wants to put his head down and take off.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

shortyjock89

To get him to keep his head up, tie him with his head up for a couple hours every day.  We tie ours with their heads up from a very early age, but we've had success with doing it with older calves.  To get him to walk better, tie him up all day.  I mean from like morning chores until evening.  Don't feed him that morning.  Give walking him to water a shot at noon, and if he doesn't want to walk, just tie him back where he was.  Try to walk him to feed and water that night, and see if he will.  We've had it where we won't feed a calf for a day or a day and a half, and then they will usually walk to feed.  If he walks to feed, try walking him to other places in his pen.  Feed and water is a great incentive for calves to get them to walk.  Good luck, I hope this helps a little.

inthebarnagain

Do all of the above with the tying, etc.  PLUS, lead him in a small area, one small enough that with a long enough lead, there isn't anywhere stall he can go to get away.  He will figure out pretty quick that he isn't getting anywhere by running.  And always end on a good note, with him leading to where you wanted to go.  Not with him getting away and you giving up.

knabe

you can not make any animal do anything. 

some things to try is to not let him pull on the rope, just give it too him.  sometimes they will actually walk backwards (and in circles), and if you leave the slack in the rope, they will all of a sudden kinda look up and go "why aren't you pulling, i thought this was a game i could win?"  then do the normal things like lead at a 45 degree angle from their side till they give slack, release, and increase it till their feet lift up.  when that foot is up in the air, if you release soon enough, they will know you know what is going on, especially if you pet them quickly and pause before trying it again.

the other thing that's hard not to do is reach.  i'm dealing with not doing that right now with one calf.

shortyjock89

Knabe, I was gonna give saying most of that a shot, but you're much more eloquent than I, and I figured I would mess it up lol.

inthebarnagain

Also, EVERY TIME you want him to move make a kissing sound to him, and if someone is helping you, have them make the kissing sound.  He will quickly figure out that the sound means move.  Don't face him, because that is what you do when he is set up and still, turn away from him and make the sound and walk. 

farmboy

sounds rough but when i have one that drop there heads and want to drag me through the gravel, i bop em in the nose with a boot, works for me, but i rarely have to do that, it depends how big your son is....  O0 O0  <cowboy>

fluffer

I agree with the donkey. 

I had a steer that was a nut, put him on a donkey and I never had a bit of trouble out of him again.  but do it asap.  The longer he gets by with it the harder it will be to break.

Good Luck
Fluffer

Superblocker

How big is this steer? There are different tricks to try depending on how big the animal is and how big the youngster is that is trying to make it all work

ShowStopper

All of the above are great suggestions that have worked wonders in the past for me. Another thing that I like to do is use short jerks instead of one long pull. They don't like the 'jerking' of the head (if you will) and it causes them to step forward. Once he moves even one foot stop jerking and reward him. Also, try your best not to get infront of him. Its really hard and even I do it. But if you are in front of him his view is blocked and he is not going to want to go forward. These are just a couple things that help me and I hope that they can help you too.  ;D

cattlejunky

one other suggestion would be a chain halter.  you may want to get one with a rope lead rather than leather.  we have done this with stubborn calves and it seems to get their attention.  they realize the chain won't dig in if they keep moving.

mswcattle

Superblocker said:
How big is this steer? There are different tricks to try depending on how big the animal is and how big the youngster is that is trying to make it all work

He is weighing approx. 950 and my son is 16.  We've had several steers and pretty good success.  Just never one like this.

mswcattle

Doc said:
  (welcome) & try a donkey .

I've heard about using a donkey, but have never seen it done.  How do you attach them to the donkey?  How long do you leave them there? 

red

I have that trouble sometimes w/ a really stubborn one. Remember Tami at NAILE- MLK32? What I try to do at home is just keep a steady pressure on the rope. I just lean into it. I keep that way until they get bored of standing or just give up. pretty soon they are walking w/ me.

Red

Lindsey Farms

I had great success when i was showing using a donkey. it has been a few years and i know my little brother hasnt had to use the donkey since i left so i dont know if 950 pounds will be to big or not. If i can remeber i can almost beleive i once had steer weighing a lil over 800 that tied to a donkey.

Bawndoh

PULL SIDEWAYS!!  pull sideways pull sideways.  Dont know how much harder I could stress this.  Let him stand all "stubborn-like:, like he usually does, and then step beside him to his shoulder, and pull him sideways.  They have MUCH less strenght this way and they will "loose their balance" and take a step to the side to regain it.  Once they take that one step, reward the calf with slack.  Keep doing this, pull him in circles (much like a reining horse pivots on his rear feet).  Even the real well broke cattle get stubborn and irritated and dont want to be pulled forward.  We are a fraction of a bovine's weight, we need use methods in which we are stronger than them!
Good Luck, and as uaual, keep us posted on progress.  <cowboy>

farmboy

ive got the stubbornest calf ever in the barn right now... how can you break a jumper, i pull on him, and when it gets tight after a minute, he'll jump and come close to hitting his head on the ceiling, and then he'll lock up and we will do it again

red

zach said:
ive got the stubbornest calf ever in the barn right now... how can you break a jumper, i pull on him, and when it gets tight after a minute, he'll jump and come close to hitting his head on the ceiling, and then he'll lock up and we will do it again
zach, I hate thsoe. I just keep them tied up extra long. To me that scares me more than anything.

Red

Bawndoh

red said:
zach said:
zach, I hate thsoe. I just keep them tied up extra long. To me that scares me more than anything.

Red

Yes, and they can be so dangerous.  They usually grow out of it.  They are typically bad when first being halter/tie broke.  Just try to keep some length in the halter when leading him.  If you know when the calf is going to jump give him slack.  Dont pull and try to get them to stop.  When they realize there is no reason to jump, they will stop.  Animals usually act like (idiots) when they feel threatened.  They grow out of most habits if trained properly.

Latest posts