Help On Presentation

Help Support Steer Planet:

Angus Gal

Our class was assigned a presentation on our choice. And me being the schools only cattle girl I think that would be best to talk about. The 'structure' of the speech/presentation isn't difficult but it will be difficult to keep my classmates' attention. ( They are all either football players or vegitarians) What would be the best topic to discuss in a class with those type of classmates with useful information but keeping them interested at the same time? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Bawndoh

There are some major steriotypes about "cattle people and lifestyles".  Think of a few.  Make it informative, but really fun and enlightening.  Maybe we could give you some more ideas when you pick a topic.  I had the same issues in school.  Everyone thought the only kind of 4-H was "cow" 4-H and that all we did was brush our cows.  It was pretty sad, but it was fun to teach them and enlighten them about the awesome times we had at shows or trips and experiences we took with 4-H.

farmboy

i stay away from the cattle subject at school, tends to lead to sexual jokes and alot of stuff that can be avoided with common sense

DL

Angus Gal said:
Our class was assigned a presentation on our choice. And me being the schools only cattle girl I think that would be best to talk about. The 'structure' of the speech/presentation isn't difficult but it will be difficult to keep my classmates' attention. ( They are all either football players or vegitarians) What would be the best topic to discuss in a class with those type of classmates with useful information but keeping them interested at the same time? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

One of the biggest issues we face as cattle producers and veterinarians is that the mass media has encouraged them (the masses, the urbanites, the non-ag, non- farming people) to believe that we do not care about our animals - that we are evil vile creatures who torment and torture animals for human benefit - you could begin to educate a bunch of people by discussing how you care for your animals and how others care for theirs - show the human side of agriculture - give your class a taste of the real truth - you go girl! ;D

Steer Boy 101

I agree with zach its better to stay away wtih the cattle subject. Other wise talkla bout the Techonlgy in it since everyting is so techonal. thats my 3 cents worth

simtal

talk about ethanol production, thats cattle related without being too far removed for the city folks

Shorthorn_Junkie

zach said:
i stay away from the cattle subject at school, tends to lead to sexual jokes and alot of stuff that can be avoided with common sense

I hear you on the jokes Zach.

I remember back many moons ago when I was in school how I was not the cool kid, because I was involved with cattle.  The jokes were horrible also.

Bawndoh

zach said:

So sick, but so true.  Who do these people think they are anyways?  I dont see many farmers going to prison as sex offenders. 
Just my 3 cents.

Bawndoh

[/quote]

One of the biggest issues we face as cattle producers and veterinarians is that the mass media has encouraged them (the masses, the urbanites, the non-ag, non- farming people) to believe that we do not care about our animals - that we are evil vile creatures who torment and torture animals for human benefit - you could begin to educate a bunch of people by discussing how you care for your animals and how others care for theirs - show the human side of agriculture - give your class a taste of the real truth - you go girl! ;D
[/quote]

Sound like a great topic to me!

Ruchian

I don't think it should really matter what people think, if you want to do something about cattle do it.  For my senior project I did a paper on ethanol productionl and its effects on livestock and the economy, for the project I taught people how to show cattle.  I then had a ten minute speech about the two.  A lot of my city friends were actually more interested in the showing part than the ethanol part.

Angus Gal

Thanks for all of the input! I really really like DL's idea. I'll be sure to post my final grade & everything..

Thanks Again!

knabe

find that video i think dl linked where the guy talked about the challenges the beef industry has.  stand up for beef.  jokes are a way to desensitize topics.  it's a well known fact that jokes can warm up people to your side.